720 Alternator Wiring Help

chaffy

Hello!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently decided to replace the alternator on my 720 with this one:

Link

Unfortunately I am stuck on how to wire it. The alternator I pulled out had the same "T" style plug, so I'm pretty certain that's the same. The battery terminal is fairly obvious, but I'm unsure if it is grounded through the mounting bolts, or if that small spade connector on the bottom is supposed to be the ground.

Does anyone have any insight? I would really appreciate it!

orly_r111288a_404_bac.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put the year of your 720 in your profile so no one has to keep asking.

This must be an '80 model year to be 35 amp. If you have an '81 and up they are 50 or more amps.

Looks like a threaded hole just to the right and slightly down of the B (battery + terminal) There should be a black wire nearby with a lug on the end that was on the stock alternator. Maybe use the bolt that was on the old alternator.

Now just why are you thinking of replacing your alternator? Because the replacement ones are cheap quality crap. There's a reason they are only $65. Make damn sure it's the alternator and not a bad connection at the battery post or a blown fusible link. I would find a place that rebuilds them and have them do it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bottomwatcher said:

One should be sensing wire and the other for field current. Case is the ground 

Yes on the double plug on the left. I think they are referring to the single spade connector across from it on the right and while the case is bolted mechanically to the block and probably grounded I haven't seen one yet that didn't also have a dedicated heavy gauge black wire to the terminal on the case.

• Like 1