280z Front Hub Ridge Repair

NC280z

Good evening all!

I've finally located the cause of a mild, persistent wheel shake. It would appear that the driver's side front wheel hub has a slight ridge near the rim between two of the studs, which is preventing the wheel from mounting flush. The ridge isn't significant and should be easy enough to flatten, but I'm looking for some guidance before I take a drift to it. What's the best way to flatten out the ridge? OEM hubs are NLA, so I'd be looking at T3 replacements if I can't fix the stocker. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rust? or damage? Maybe something was crushed between rim and hub? It should just flake off.  It would have to be hit pretty hard while the rim was off. Touch it up with an angle grinder.

Wheel shake is more likely damaged rim or tire or out of balance.

I thought it might be a wheel/tire, but I've swapped wheels and only the driver's side has the shake. I've got the car on stands and when you spin the wheel it's pretty visible that the wheel isn't evenly mounted to the hub on the driver's side, due to the ridge. I'll go snag a photo and post it shortly. 

• Like 1

I had a similar ding on either my 280ZX or 300ZX hubs, can't remember which.  I hand-filed it too, but if you still have issues, I would do as Matt suggested and have it very lightly touched up on a lathe to make sure the surface is true.

I think mine happened from being dropped when not attached to the vehicle, or maybe someone hitting it with a hammer when removing them from the car (junkyard did the removal).