Fuel gauge questions

620BEAMS

I have recently (today) just replaced my speedo and fuel/temperature/warning dials with an aftermarket Speedo and rev counter as nothing was working (except the fuel gauge)

However, having hacked the housing to pieces to fit my two new gauges, I have realised that I have removed my fuel gauge... 

I still have the gauge but nothing to mount it to. My question is, are there any gauges with the same resistance as the stock gauge (10-80 ohms I think) that I can mount somewhere? Or do I need to buy a new sender and gauge together? 

I'm sure someone else must have been through a similar situation... Right? 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Safe to say all Datsun gas gauges work in the 0-80 range. After market ones also.

I realise the Datsun ones do, but there aren't any stand alone ones that I can find? 

Also the aftermarket ones seem to be either 0-90 or 10-180ohms. It's my understanding that if I get one that doesn't match the rating exactly then it won't read full or empty accurately? 

Would I get away with a 0-90 or will that never show zero or full? 

Ova4dr0.jpg 

You are aware that the voltage regulator that powers both the temp and gas gauges is in the temp gauge? Battery voltage is dropped to about 8 volts with a regulator. This keeps the gauges form varying their reading because of the different voltages encountered when idling or driving with headlights, heater fan and wipers on, or any combination. Engine off 12.6 or just under to 14.6 when running and charging. 

9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Ova4dr0.jpg 

You are aware that the voltage regulator that powers both the temp and gas gauges is in the temp gauge? Battery voltage is dropped to about 8 volts with a regulator. This keeps the gauges form varying their reading because of the different voltages encountered when idling or driving with headlights, heater fan and wipers on, or any combination. Engine off 12.6 or just under to 14.6 when running and charging. 

I did not realise this, no 😭

Are you saying then that I cannot use the fuel gauge on its own at an independent gauge? 

If so then I'm totally screwed I believe

You would have to jumper the power from the temp gauge to the new location of the gas gauge. Someone on here was selling little solid state diodes that produced 8-9 volts as a replacement for the mechanical ones in the temp gauge.

OR

Get another gauge and sender for the gas, or a sender that will work on the 10-80 ohm sender in the tank now.

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You would have to jumper the power from the temp gauge to the new location of the gas gauge. Someone on here was selling little solid state diodes that produced 8-9 volts as a replacement for the mechanical ones in the temp gauge.

OR

Get another gauge and sender for the gas, or a sender that will work on the 10-80 ohm sender in the tank now.

Thanks Mike,

I think I'll go for another gauge, however 10-80 is hard to get so I might just play it safe and go 10-73 as they're easy to get in comparison.

It'll just read empty early.

Thanks again for all your help Mike 😁

Sorry to ask such noobie questions

2 hours ago, 5t341tH said:

another member is using the speedhut gauges for his fuel level. I am also going to get this gauge as well since I am replacing all my gauges too

The're not available in the UK unfortunately.

I am goign for GlowShift gauges because 1. they ship to the UK 2. they're adjustable so i can set it to 10-73ohms and use that with a high 'empty' reading until i can be bothered replaceing the sender (if at all)