86 carb and choke

Stinky

On my '86 720, I've been experincing slow warm up, "funny" acceleration (transitioning from 0 throttle to some throttle, while moving), sooty exhaust and 15 mpg (at best) and 2 episodes where it died and then was bigtime flooded.

After a small investigation, my choke is busted (a technical term).  

I wired it open. 

This morning, I left w.no warm.up....twas interesting.  I noticed that it warmed up quicker and that the temp needle was almost in the middle (was 1/16" above the lowest Normal line).  And, it runs way better (once I get moving).  I only had to downshift once on the way to work (several hills in CO)

Where is the best place to get a carb kit?  I notice that rockauto only has them up to an '85.   Also, where can I get the choke?  

I have 2, or 3 wires going to my carb, not 6.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would check that the electric choke heater is getting power. Without it it won't open fully. Get a test lamp and touch the (blue wire, probably with black covering) on the bottom of the choke heater housing while the engine is running. Engine has to be running.

3amNNxv.jpg

Assuming you aren't getting power you can jumper power over from the Red wire going to the idle cut solenoid right beside it. Just a temp fix.. Likely the choke heater relay is not sending power  because the alternator is failing, but we'll see.

• Like 1