520/521 digital tachometer idea (not mine)

Draker

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

I don't like it. The idea is so Dakota Digital. Looks like the dash from KITT in Knight Rider. Also is it done? Water under the RPM read out and fuel gauge on other side.Looks like a good attempt at a bad idea if that is the finished product.

might not be for everyone. But it might help someone someday. I don’t care, I don’t have a 520/521.

• Like 1

I dont care for the digital readout but do think it would be much more appealing in green as opposed to the red.   I think keeping a water temp gauge would be more important to me as well.  Could always add a low fuel light somewhere in  there.  A sweeping needle tach that fit that opening would be tits tho.

Thanks for sharing this.

With a dial gauge you soon learn that 12 o'clock (or where ever yours is) is shift time You don't have to actually 'read' the numbers you glance at it, even peripherally, and when straight up or near it you grab another gear. With a digital, the hundreds are going past so fast in lower gears you can't possibly read them hell the thousands are too fast. By the time you look multiple times and see a 6K it's already close to 7K. Perhaps an adjustable shift light?  

Red is easier on your night vision. Dim-able?

Yes would rather have a temp gauge and a tach somewhere else.

On both of my running and driving 521 trucks, I trust the stock temp and the gas gauges.  They are so simple, compared to today's instrumentation, that if the connections, including grounds are good, they work.

If the temp gauge starts to read slightly abnormally high, it almost always because I need to add coolant.

The gas gauge on on Ratsun does not read completely full, but by a half full tank, is pretty accurate.

On both 521 trucks I drive, Dragon being the other, when the gas tank is getting empty, when first starting the truck, watch the gas gauge.  If the gauge flares up, then settles down, you have a short time to empty. If the gas gauge does not flare up when starting, getting more gas is a top priority.