Richie

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

1978 nissan 200sx....

60 and internally regulated,  fyi they are a tight fit but they will with as short of a belt as you can get.... 

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/ultima-5353/charging---starting-16772/alternator-11425/f7cab2ae3cc0/ultima-60-amp-alternator-remanufactured/r111307b/4546294

Thank you! Yea so I’m using a gm alternator because it’s plug n play on my harness so I created my own mount. But it does look good. What do you mean shorter belt?

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Thank you! Yea so I’m using a gm alternator because it’s plug n play on my harness so I created my own mount. But it does look good. What do you mean shorter belt?

If using a GM it doesnt matter,  but with the L series in the truck the larger diameter altenator comes close to hitting the idler arm on the frame.... short belt keeps it as close to the block as possible to keep clearance.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

If using a GM it doesnt matter,  but with the L series in the truck the larger diameter altenator comes close to hitting the idler arm on the frame.... short belt keeps it as close to the block as possible to keep clearance.

Yea I think the Gm is fine but I made a mount to mount it on the block but I can see me driving and the alternator shakes or something and I’m screwed. So I wanted to get an Datsun one that matches the oem mount so I can not stress about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 1:08 PM, Crashtd420 said:

Maybe it was a longer belt, I cant remember now... I do know It was a different belt, but again doesnt really matter if you went with the gm altenator

Any idea how I would wire the 200sx internal alternator to a 12 circuit after market wiring harness? I got it off speedway motors. The harness has an alt power wire and alt excitor wire. 

Edited by Richie
45 minutes ago, Richie said:

Any idea how I would wire the 200sx internal alternator to a 12 circuit after market wiring harness? I got it off speedway motors. The harness has an alt power wire and alt excitor wire. 

Well the excitor wire would most likely be the lamp signal L on the altenator,  and the power wire would go to the main lug and can be jumped to the sense wire which would be the S on the altenator.  

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well the excitor wire would most likely be the lamp signal L on the altenator,  and the power wire would go to the main lug and can be jumped to the sense wire which would be the S on the altenator.  

When you mean jumped for the power cord, you mean power to the lug then a wire from the lug to the S?

16 minutes ago, Richie said:

When you mean jumped for the power cord, you mean power to the lug then a wire from the lug to the S?

Yes... usually the sense wire goes over to the large power connection at the starter, that's how datsun did it.... it just needs the battery power as a voltage input... I believe that's the signal it uses to regulate the power...

• Thanks 1

Sweet thank you! I’ll give an update on it when the part comes in. 

8 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:Yes... usually the sense wire goes over to the large power connection at the starter, that's how datsun did it.... it just needs the battery power as a voltage input... I believe that's the signal it uses to regulate the power...