Reverse light stay on

EZee

Hello everyone,

I recently restored and replaced the taillights on my 521. All light working just fine, only problem is that my back up lights stay stuck in the on position. I replaced the reverse light switch and it didn’t change anything. Not sure if it’s my transmission kinda stuck here, pun totally intended 😁. I would definitely appreciate some feedback on this issue.

Thanks in advance. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, EZee said:

Hello everyone,

I recently restored and replaced the taillights on my 521. All light working just fine, only problem is that my back up lights stay stuck in the on position. I replaced the reverse light switch and it didn’t change anything. Not sure if it’s my transmission kinda stuck here, pun totally intended 😁. I would definitely appreciate some feedback on this issue.

Thanks in advance. 

Did you get the right switch?

Some are normally open, 

Some are normally closed....

My guess is you have the wrong switch...

• Like 2

Oh wait it was on before?

Ok.... my idea would be disconnect the 2 wires going to the switch.... 

Do the lights go out?

On the 2 wires one should be 12 volt power and the other side nothing....

Power pass through the switch when reverse is engaged.... to send power to the lights....

• Like 2

So the reverse lights are on only when ignition is on, the lights turn off when I disconnect the wires to the switch.it’s as of the mechanism inside the trans is continuously applying pressure to the switch, keeping it engaged. My wiring is all correct everything else works as it should. Not sure if they ever worked correctly.Thanks 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, EZee said:

So the reverse lights are on only when ignition is on, the lights turn off when I disconnect the wires to the switch.it’s as of the mechanism inside the trans is continuously applying pressure to the switch, keeping it engaged. My wiring is all correct everything else works as it should. Thanks 

So that's kind of good....

I would say your wiring is fine and the problem is the switch or whatever its contacting in the transmission...

I have a spare 4spd from my 521 in the basement I can measure the switch for length and the length of the pin that sticks out of it.....

Have you tried shifting into other gears to see if the light goes out.... I believe there are a few other spots for a 3rd gear switch and possibly a neutral....

Is it possible the reverse switch  is not in the right hole?

• Like 2

The switches will stick from old sticky trans oil.  Try pulling the switch and reinstalling.  If this does not work install new switch.

Many of the trucks I have had over the years trans oil looks like it has never been changed.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Do the lights go out?

Power pass through the switch when reverse is engaged.... to send power to the lights....

Yep, I’ve done my due diligence, tried shifting in and out of reverse- no change. The 521 has 2 switches on the psgr side and the reverse light switch is the one further away from the top of the trans. I also compared  the length of contact that sticks out on the new & old switch and it’s the same. Is there an easy way to check if the internal mechanism is moving or not moving. Thanks

• Like 2

Do the lights go out?

Thanks Charlie69 and Crashtd420

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, EZee said:

Yep, I’ve done my due diligence, tried shifting in and out of reverse- no change. The 521 has 2 switches on the psgr side and the reverse light switch is the one further away from the top of the trans. I also compared  the length of contact that sticks out on the new & old switch. Is there an easy way to check if the internal mechanism is moving or not moving. Thanks

A multi meter....

you could also use the test light..... 

Send power to one wire through the switch , put a light on the opposite wire and push the button... see what happens... light should turn on and off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do the lights go out?

• Like 2