Accelerator Pedal ‘Throw’ problems

620BEAMS

Hi All,

I have a 3SGE BEAMS swapped 620, I’ve noticed that when I put my foot flat to the floor, the throttle body is only actuated about 1/3 of the way.

is there a way to increase the throw of the accelerator pedal at all? Perhaps by massaging with a hammer into a different shape or maybe fitting a later/different model pedal?

I’m sure this has come up before and I did try to search the forum but it didn’t return anything useful 😞

Thanks

Tom

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Ooph! said:

Without seeing your setup we can only guess.

A description with pictures would help.

Electronic or mechanical linkage?

Apologies, it's a standard 620 accelerator pedal I believe. Mechanical- wire up to the throttle body then it's technically a drive by wire with manual override

I have no idea how to attach photos to posts I'm afraid! 

Click on the text line as if you wanted to write a response, text window pops open.  Near bottom left of window, it says "Drag files here to attach or choose files......".  I click on "choose files" which opens a link to pull pics out of your PC or iphone photo file (if PC, of course you need to download from iphone or digital camera).  Hope that helps with pics!  

The lever on the throttle body is too long. If you can shorten this or find another with a smaller diameter? I had the opposite switching to R-1 carbs. It was smaller and there was hardly any pedal travel between idle and full throttle. I moved the pedal fulcrum point upward away from the foot. This increased the pedal stroke while shortening the the cable pull length. You would need to opposite of this. The problem is increased effort. 

Try to get a smaller diameter connection at the throttle body. It's the rounded part where the cable connects. The smaller the diameter the less pedal travel is needed.

71cq4p08VWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://magnusmotorsports.com/product/magnus-throttle-cable-adapter/

throttle-cable-adapt-3-600x450.jpg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The lever on the throttle body is too long. If you can shorten this or find another with a smaller diameter? I had the opposite switching to R-1 carbs. It was smaller and there was hardly any pedal travel between idle and full throttle. I moved the pedal fulcrum point upward away from the foot. This increased the pedal stroke while shortening the the cable pull length. You would need to opposite of this. The problem is increased effort. 

Try to get a smaller diameter connection at the throttle body. It's the rounded part where the cable connects. The smaller the diameter the less pedal travel is needed.

https://magnusmotorsports.com/product/magnus-throttle-cable-adapter/

That, sir is a fantastic idea...

I had only thought about modifying the pedal rather than the throttle body actuator. 

This is the throttle body in question: 

http://newstarsauto.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=323

I'll have to see if i can find an alternative size for it.

5 hours ago, 5t341tH said:

on my SR swap, I used a 240sx cable and shortened it a few inches to work correctly. What cable are you using?

I'm using an Altezza RS200 cable, shortened, however the issue isn't the cable, it's the travel of said cable via the pedal. DatsunMike's point about moving the pedal pivot point or obtaining a different size actuator should solve the issue i think 😁

Damn straight. It's only getting 1/3 open right now.

Most gas pedals have to work through the same comfortable range of motion as most adults have feet approximately the same size.  The throttle body plate only has to turn through 900 from closed to full open.

3 hours ago, 5t341tH said:

decreasing the diameter of the linkage would make the throttle very sensitive to pedal input though

Agreed, but given mine is only moving 1/3 recall it needs to be more sensitive?

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Damn straight. It's only getting 1/3 open right now.

Most gas pedals have to work through the same comfortable range of motion as most adults have feet approximately the same size.  The throttle body plate only has to turn through 900 from closed to full open.

Yeah, I see what you mean and if the actuator had a larger diameter the cable needs to be pulled more to achieve the 90° full throttle

The throttle on my R-1 carbs is about 3/4" radius. The stock Hitachi carb is 1 1/8" (I just measured it) So I only needed about 66% of my original travel to go from idle to full throttle. The pedal felt strange so close to the floor. I never drove it this way, I know I didn't want to get used to this. Moving the fulcrum point higher lengthened the travel below it to get the same travel above it.

• Like 1