Ka24e differences

720_potter

So I've been looking around and ofc the differences between the 240s and hardbodys are the essentials like engine mounts,wiring harness,ecu, etc. But what is truly the difference besides the throttle body and exhaust manifold. I saw that the cams are different and the pistons were different and that the 240s came with a girdle. What else is different?

Thanks for any info.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vOnxWCx.jpg

The 240sx block flairs out to the sides at the back and covers the transmission where the D21 Ka has an engine plate like most Datsuns. It would therefor use a different starter.

ypYzT1Q.jpg

The pistons are only different in that the 240sx are grooved for C clips to locate and hold the floating piston pin. So the rods are also different. You could use them on the D21 but not the other way round. For the first 3 months of production a slightly domed 9 to 1 compression piston was used. All others are 2.8cc dish.

78VfpxP.jpg

The cams are the same 13020-40F00 part number.

The 240sx uses a 225mm flywheel while the D21 uses a 240mm. They are inter changeable.

vSuRSCH.jpg

Oil pans are also different, besides the obvious clearance of the girdle the sx is front sump, top above, the D21 is more rear sump, bottom above. So the oil pick up tube is also different.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, 720_potter said:

I get the the starter part along with the oil pan and pick up, so I could use 240sx rods and pistons on the truck ka but not the other way around. And the back of the 240 ka has the basic plate from the truck ka jist built into the block?

How to explain....

240sx pistons would work on the truck rods as they are press fit pins. Truck pistons could not be used on the 240sx rods because they cannot be fitted with C clips to hold the floating pin in place. Pistons and rods as a set could be swapped either way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

How to explain....

240sx pistons would work on the truck rods as they are press fit pins. Truck pistons could not be used on the 240sx rods because they cannot be fitted with C clips to hold the floating pin in place. Pistons and rods as a set could be swapped either way.

gotcha it clicked in my head now. what about the crank girdle, are you able to take that from the 240sx ka and put it in the ka truck engine? sorry for all the questions trying to build one so i need all i can get before i buy anything to build it.

• Like 1