would like to put a 5 speed transmission on my datsun 1972

datsun 510owner

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will bolt up but it will be tilted to the side about 15 degrees or so. Not ideal. This can be fixed by swapping the bell housing, but might as well fine a different tranny if you are hunting. An 80 720 transmission will work since they had an L20b. Later years use a z series engine which rotate the bolt pattern.

23 hours ago, datsun 510owner said:

does any one knows if the 1982 datsun pick up transmission fit on a 1972 pick up with a  L1600 motor ?

If you already have this later NAPZ 5spd, find a 71-78 (not the early 70-71) 240 260 280Z 4spd, pull the front case half (bellhousing ) & bolt on swap to the NAPZ 5spd.  This bellhousing will correct the clocking, thus alleviates the bad tilt!  I have sold 10++ of these 4spd bellhousings for this swap.  Expect to pay $100-150 + shipping for the 4spd bellhousing.  I do not have any at this moment, but I do have a 280Z parts car with the 4spd in it, but we are going racing at COTA in TX, back after Nov 11th.  

FYI if you were looking to install the even later 240SX 5spd, that trans has a larger front bearing, which requires machining out the bellhousing to fit the 240SX trans.

• Like 1