Home made dashboard

Eomund

lvKwHhs.jpg

Finally got around to replacing my dash on my 521. As you can see, it's non existent and toast.

The speaker and tablet was so I could have an am/fm radio for the drive in theater.

CvDm0ch.jpg

Imagine my delight when I found I could pull the whole top of the dashboard. Now I wond deny, it was still a pain in the ass. But I got the thing off.

JeCJJ5u.jpg

While I worked on the dash too, I made a cardboard cover to protect the wires from the sun.

aNUII37.jpg

Here is the initial fit up. I didn't take any pics of the measurement work. The wood is an oak plywood, and a basic pine trim piece from home depot. I used a high bind wood glue so I didn't have to worry about nail or staple marks to hide.

noFTNS1.jpg

I honestly agonized about what color stain to use. I decided on black as I figured it'd be more subtle.

MpsqKgO.jpg

Here is the stain before clear. I was thinking of going darker. But I really like how the stain popped. So I stopped there.

hHwIA8P.jpg

Here is the finished product. Sorry for the poor light. I finished installing it after it got dark. I made up a few custom brackets to mount it up. I'm pretty stoked how it came out. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eomund,

I applaud your moxie on approaching this often touchy subject. I like it. My old 521 had the wood knobs and steering wheel - which is obviously where you are going in the near future.

Lots of other places on a truck for wood too.....maybe source a true cab height Perris Valley Camper Shell for the full Monty.

Vicdat

Yes we're still doin Datsuns in the SGV (AlleyCat/Hosestop) hahajaha

On 10/30/2020 at 3:26 PM, vicdat said:

Hi Eomund,

I applaud your moxie on approaching this often touchy subject. I like it. My old 521 had the wood knobs and steering wheel - which is obviously where you are going in the near future.

Lots of other places on a truck for wood too.....maybe source a true cab height Perris Valley Camper Shell for the full Monty.

Vicdat

Yes we're still doin Datsuns in the SGV (AlleyCat/Hosestop) hahajaha

I already have wood door handles. I'm going to make some new ones and stain them to match. I'm looking into how to make wood door cards too. But I need to figure out where to get wood thin enough. Either that or go with aluminum and veneer.

Being a wood worker, that's usually the first direction I take, or at least look at lol.

Fyi. I'm looking into making a wood camper shell.

Aluminum/veneer will probably be the least weight, but will be more difficult to glue. Not saying it can't be done, just more difficult. Have you thought about quarter inch Baltic Birch ply? Just a bit heavier than aluminum/veneer, but just as tough and you won't have gluing problems. It can also be sanded down a bit to make it just a little bit thinner and lighter. For those that aren't aware of Baltic Birch plywood, it is metric and approximately 5ft x 5ft and closely approximates the different thicknesses of american plywood, and every veneer ply is the same thickness and uses the same wood as the surface veneer.  If you want/need experiences involving gluing wood to wood, or wood to plastic laminates PM me.

By the way, I spent 35+ years in cabinet shops/installing cabinets, and most of the other jobs I had were in some way connected with woodworking.

Don 

The basic dash knobs were readily available back in the day...I think mine came from JC Whitney or PepBoys. They had the small a set screw and an aluminum base. Worked perfect for a couple decades on my bitchin '70 Lil Hustler (medium blue) that I got new as a senior at Lynwood High.....

Vicdat