rocker panel rust

I am not sure "rocker panel" is the correct term, since Google did  not produce what I was after; terms "door sill" and "under door" were, also unsuccessful. I want to replace the metal on the chassis under where the door sits.  The rocker panels appear to only replace the outer metal, the pieces I want to replace have "depth" , the area where the doors sit (when closed). Anyone know the proper term for this area?  Is it something readily available or should I go the salvage yard and cut the section out of a vehicle with less rust? 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1986-95 SUZUKI SAMURAI 2DR OUTER ROCKER PANEL DRIVER SIDE! FREE SHIPPING!!

:Is there a significant variance in rocker panel design between vehicles?   

1988 Suzuki Samurai - Album on Imgur

I googled to find these images. The top image is a typical "rocker panel replacement". Now look at the image below of a disassembled Suzuki Samurai, the bottom of the door opening is stepped, with  what I would call an outer rocker panel and then there is a short "step up" and a flat section where the bottom of the door will set. The flat section on my rig is rusted and when I search for rocker panels, I only find flat options.Where am I going wrong?

I think that you're finding that, yes, most "replacement" parts are just the outside panel.  I would call that entire part something more along the lines of "lower door jamb".  Does this look more like what you want (since you weren't specific, I have no idea if this is the right make/model/year).

https://www.masterforest-boutique.com/en/central-body/2897-right-lower-body-frame-suzuki-santana-samurai-short-frame.html

right-lower-body-frame-suzuki-santana-samurai-short-frame.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I think that you're finding that, yes, most "replacement" parts are just the outside panel.  I would call that entire part something more along the lines of "lower door jamb".  Does this look more like what you want (since you weren't specific, I have no idea if this is the right make/model/year).

Excellent find! It will take some time to see what exactly will work, but with the picture and new terms, I have a new areas to look---tomorrow or the next day. It is late, really late, time to hit the rack. Thank you for the good lead.