Frame Swap

Crytek89

Well, it's very nearly been 2 years since my truck was last on the road. No thanks to the environment of the PNW and salted roads in the winter 😞 
But today, after much searching I found myself an '86 720 - 2WD with an SD25 - which apparently runs?

Hoping to start getting the project underway this winter, gotta get both vehicles towed back to the family farm lol

(Pics coming soon of donor truck... if anyone's looking for a diesel engine 😛 )

Edited by Crytek89
  • Like 2
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very cool.  Glad another one will get resurrected.

I will trade you a Z24 transmission front half case for the sd25 transmission front half case if you're interested.  I could use that diesel bell housing.

• Like 1

My R16 would not have pushed my Roadster down the road on any incline with a 5th gear, it would barely go 65mph up a mountain pass in 4th and I was floored, I drove the shit out of that car back in the 1990s, but it did have a hangglider on top of it.

Before I got my chrome back.

185325636_1967datsunroadster003.thumb.jpg.1d5c05e2d455cc6993c340aaf86851fc.jpg

After I got the chrome back and bought my new hangglider.

1033028569_1967datsunroadster.thumb.jpg.4cf5acb3dbf48619973f268dc8a04012.jpg

I was never impressed with the R16 power, so I found a car for sale with a U20 and 5spd and transferred everything over, I was so happy I did that.

They are worth an awful lot with a modern engine in them anymore, I recently thought about removing my fresh U20(less than 5000 miles) and replacing it with an electric motor, but I have enough to do right now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lockleaf said:

Very cool.  Glad another one will get resurrected.

I will trade you a Z24 transmission front half case for the sd25 transmission front half case if you're interested.  I could use that diesel bell housing.

Glad I accepted when he offered the bellhousing to me then, it's already sitting apart in the bed of the truck.

• Like 1

Sorry your thread just just got totally hijacked there crytek.  I'm not just buttering you up about the 720.  I'm about to get my 85 registered again for the first time in 3 years.  I love these things.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Sorry your thread just just got totally hijacked there crytek.

No worries, this thread has barely started yet 😛
MiQ42R4.jpg

So, here's the new beast.

Overall it's in not too bad of shape, doors and bed are both pretty much done but everything else seems really solid. Fenders are undented, rear diff is a more favourable ratio for me.
Most importantly the frame is solid and for $200 I'm not gonna complain about the rest 😛 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

I'm about to get my 85 registered again for the first time in 3 years.  I love these things.

I'm excited for you! Another 720 back on the road is a good day in my books.
Can't wait till next summer when mine's back on the blacktop.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed your KAe swap thread and  reffered it to others. I did the same swap in my 82 4x4 but didn't do the write up or pics like you. It ain't cheap, it ain't easy and you nailed the execution of the nitty gritty of a swap. This will be interesting, just on the level of work for a frame swap. Good luck and I am following.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

Had all of last week booked off and worked on getting the body and box off the parts truck, stripping it down and getting it ready for the second part of the swap next week.

Frame on the new truck is in great shape! Bit of rust on the rear cross-member, but nothing alarming as the rails are in perfect shape.

Next step will be removing the SD25 engine, diesel fuel tank, brake hardlines and replacing with the gas tank and new brake lines. I'll also need to completely swap over the front suspension from my truck to the new frame.

Some photos I snapped in the meantime - was pretty focused on getting the cab and box off, so photos are limited but should have more time the next time I'm up working on it.

5d5Q3LS.jpg

j3deIJh.jpg

wwYkbZt.jpg

EQs0Wd3.jpg

• Like 1
On 7/7/2021 at 5:30 AM, Diesel Dentures said:

You’re selling the SD25?

Not at this time.
I know the glowplugs need to be replaced, but aside from that I'm unsure what it needs to run. My grandfather has "claimed" it as his new welding engine for the time being. It may be available for sale in the future, but a bit difficult to get across the border haha

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Nice to have some power tools!

10 minutes ago, captain720 said:

You are making good progress fast, well done.

They certainly help make the job easier! 😂

Plus I think my grandfather was just having too much fun with the Bobcat.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Back from another few days up at the farm working on the truck. 

Took a wire brush to the whole frame, dumped out the dirt from inside the box and two coats of POR-15 later and it's looking real nice!

Beginning:

pDE4WUf.jpg

Dumping the Dirt (Airhose + hammer + tractor = best):

GPA4H1H.jpg

After two coats:

SbJ4JDq.jpg

Next time, removing the box from my truck and swapping the fuel tank and pump, rear axle and leafs and if I have enough time, dry icing the interior of the cab to remove the old sound-deadening and laying down the Kilmat sound deadening. Maybe cab removal too, we'll see how things go.
Stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Back from another successful weekend of working on the frame swap.
Discovered the rear passenger cab mount had rusted out so decided to make my own!

xPElKFu.jpg

Previous owner had installed 1/4" angle iron on either side as he noticed it was sagging a bit, but didn't extend it to the rear mount unfortunately.
Ended up installing 1/4" stainless angle to extend it - driver's side was fine, so just did passenger.

aefmj8C.jpg

Worked out pretty good - 6 bolts and going to weld it to the existing piece on the next trip up.

End result:

buJmJp9.jpeg

bwo1PwJ.jpeg

• Like 1