521 part repopping saga

Jakes Makes

In the past few years I've been working on a lot of the parts for these trucks thanks to some really awesome members. Normally Im on fb but i more or less just reveal when things are finished or to drum up sales but this would be more of a photo dump with some potentially interesting blurbs about how these parts have come together. And if anyone here has pictures of my parts and wants to post them please do!

• Like 5
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I test fit one of his 320 steering column grommets in my 1962 Datsun U320, it is RHD, it fit the hole fine, but I didn't warm it up to install it so it took me a while to install it, don't make that mistake, unfortunately I only test fit it because I am not ready to paint the engine bay yet, I have yet to take apart the steering column shift assembly so I can install it, I am still cleaning the bottom of the truck and my new telescope has my attention during the day sometimes and every clear night, I will get it done sometime this winter I hope.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Edited by wayno
  • Like 4
13 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I’m curious if you’ve ever tried 3D printing molds, and using those to mold actual parts. I’ve done that a lot at work for urethane parts in various durometers, and it usually works really well. 

I haven't tried it yet but I sure want to! I've been looking into bench top injection molding machines so that's what I've been thinking about in that regard like for the heater box knobs I've printed in the past. Do you dlp/sla or fdm the molds?

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Jakes Makes said:

I haven't tried it yet but I sure want to! I've been looking into bench top injection molding machines so that's what I've been thinking about in that regard like for the heater box knobs I've printed in the past. Do you dlp/sla or fdm the molds?

FDM in standard ABS material. Though, we've done SLA too, but not as much. Actually, I've made clear molds using SLA before, but when our division got sold off, the good printers stayed behind, so we lost that capability. Clear molds are cool because you can see what's happening inside to make sure there aren't air bubbles and whatnot. 

I print the molds in ABS, brush acetone all over it to melt the outer skin together, sand for a smooth surface, and then spray both halves with mold release a couple times to make them nice and slippery. Like I said, we mostly mold parts out of 2-part urethane, so we mix it up and put it in a bell jar to vacuum all the bubbles out, then dump it into a syringe and go to town. 

Things we've learned:

-alignment pegs/holes help align the mold halves

-slots on the outside edges to pry the molds apart after cure

-a vertical sprue starting at the top, doing a 180, and entering the part from the bottom helps "fill" the part from the bottom and pushes air out the top

-create multiple vents at the top with a well above each one to catch excess material - this helps when pushing extra material through to get rid of bubbles

If you ever want me to send you some files with these examples, let me know. I can create something generic so you can see what I mean. 

• Like 2

That would be awesome! Im on a lot of printing and mold making pages and I haven't heard of anyone using that process but it makes perfect sense as long as the urethane doesn't have a thermal reaction that exceeds the glass transition of the abs. I also like utilizing the acetone over sanding that gets tedious real quick especially if you have to get into little crevices 

• Like 3

I have a OEM NOS 520/521 wiper shafts with cowl seals I would like to get reproduced to make available to the Datsun community. I have no idea which method would produce the best product printing or molding.  If either one of you are interested in reproducing these and will return original undamaged parts please pm me.

DSC03096.jpg

DSC03097.jpg

• Like 3

This is just too cool!  I'm gonna need a few parts that he is making for my 521, and I've also chatted with Jake about doing some 510 parts.  Like most, I have no experience MAKING the parts, but I've been involved in the British auto parts industry for many years, seeing repop parts go from absolute crap in the 80's, to what is offered today, often leaps & bounds better!

TJ

Denver CO 

• Like 3
23 hours ago, wayno said:

I test fit one of his 320 steering column grommets in my 1962 Datsun U320, it is RHD, it fit the hole fine, but I didn't warm it up to install it so it took me a while to install it, don't make that mistake, unfortunately I only test fit it because I am not ready to paint the engine bay yet, I have yet to take apart the steering column shift assembly so I can install it, I am still cleaning the bottom of the truck and my new telescope has my attention during the day sometimes and every clear night, I will get it done sometime this winter I hope.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Thank you Wayne! As many of you know this guy is a figurehead in the community and is responsible for setting me up with the 521 wiper motor grommet that I currently make as well as an original (and really rare for its condition) radio delete plate for 320s

• Like 4

i have bought parts from jake to include 521 tail light housings, both clear and red tail light lenses, front turn signal lenses in clear, glove box liner, glove box door handle, wiper motor grommet and he is fair on prices and get items shipped promptly. i plan on buying more items from him in the future

• Like 2

So some of you folks also on fb might have seen me flog the various groups with my stuff so naturally I'm gonna have to do it here as well. So a big thanks to Drew for sending me the original NOS bitchin part that Ken found amongst a hoard of parts in some guys basement and for Enrico for doing all the test fit up 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, d.p said:

Agreed Jake is doing the lords work.

🙏 Haha

Hopefully those bumperettes fit this time. I sent a solid one and also a head with the tail separated. They've got a small pilot hole running down the center so they can be drilled out to whatever screw works if the pull through design refuses to work 

• Like 3