Motor Mounts for 83 720

Balberghini

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clear you do mean the rubber isolater.

It's also is used on the same years Z20 engine

11220-08W20 seems to be the alternate number and it refers to 11220-08W01 and 11221-08W02    Have you tried Nissan Dealer?

• Like 1

what I have found in the last few years is the after market rubber engine mounts have the alignment tit in the wrong place requiring either grind off the tab or drilling a new placement hole.  I quit buying parts like this from Rock Auto because of the boxes being correct part number but the parts in the boxes were not correct.  Rock Auto resolve for this was me paying to ship the parts back and receiving a 50% refund of the purchase price.  By the time you add the cost of shipping the parts to me the cost of shipping the parts back to Rock auto and also subtracting the 50% reduction of the original purchase price I was getting screwed big time by Rock Auto for something I had purchased in good faith from them.

Edited by Charlie69
  • 1 month later...

It is in fact the rubber isolator, and any parts that I have ordered either online or at a store don't line up, bolt holes or alignment tit, every site online says they are the same for both sides, on my truck they have different bolt placements on each side to mount to the frame, kinda stuck on this one and dont want to keep ordering parts..

• Like 1

Then either not an '83 or the engine was transplanted into it. The Z22 was discontinued at the end of the '82 model year.

What's the build date on the driver's door jam say?

The engine ID is on the top of the block just beneath the head between the 2nd and 3rd exhaust side spark plugs...

Q9xYbRS.jpg

• Like 1

If the images dont show up let me know, Sorry for two of the same image also, the image with the crudely drawn arrows shows the holes where the bolts attach this piece to the frame, one hole on the right side and one on the top, most if not all replacement mounts that I have found have mounting holes on the right and left, not one on the top like this one, and the issue with this one as shown is the rubber has deteriorated and caused this to separate into two pieces, so replacement mounts that I have tried do not line up with the same mounting holes as this one to bolt to the frame. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, Balberghini said:

Having trouble finding new motor mounts for a 1983 datsun 720, the oem mounts I ordered don't match the old ones and the bolt holes dont line up, the auto parts store ordered some and they aren't anywhere close to working, any tips on where to find some? 

16 hours ago, Balberghini said:

correct, 2.2 motor

This is at odds. The '83 720 did not have 2.2 liter engines. I posted on this above and how to identify what you have exactly. The Z22 engine uses a different part number for the engine rubber isolater than the Z24.  If ordering by year you are getting isolaters for a Z24.

The correct isolater for a 2wd Z22 engine is 11220-B8001 Right side and 11221-03W00 for the Left side

• Like 1

Yes.

Instead find out the build date of your 720 or confirm you have a Z22 engine. If you really do have a Z22 the broken isolater is probably correct. If you are ordering an isolater for an '83 they will only send you one for a Z24 and probably why it doesn't match.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:33 PM, datzenmike said:

Hey guys my father has a 81 Datsun 720 but he transplanted a Z24 engine. Originally it had a Z22 motor so would I have to buy the mounts of a 81 or 84? I'm totally not sure if Z22 mounts would bolt right up to a Z24. Thank you

I didn't say that in the quote.

There are metal engine brackets that bolt to each side of the block and these bolt to rubber isolators on the frame. These are all roughly called 'engine mounts'. The only difference between the Z24 and the Z22 is that the top of the Z24 block is taller by 2cm or 3/4". The brackets and isolators should essentially be the same. 

If your Z24 has the original engine brackets with it, it should fit just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update post: The engine mounts were in alot better condition that we had thought so we had left them. Shipping was really slow too so the mounts were going to take long to come. Here are the photos of the mounts and note this is an 81 with a Z24 swap. I also included the photo of the metal bracket 

14-F8-CD0-B-2-D47-4-E9-F-8-DEF-544-EA209

4-BCD0-AA5-CAFC-4-F19-9336-6-BE75-DE8120

79-ACC3-D9-BEB2-42-B1-B848-6-F91-DF0664-

A9-C8-B44-B-ED09-4-A01-809-B-97191-CB690

48-D7-AD7-A-3401-4-EC2-975-D-8-C4-EC5-D8