69 510 Project

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dillon dropped off my a87 head and brake master cylinder today =] ill be swapping the head myself much like every thing else i do to this car. thats the biggest reason why i bought the car, to have something i can learn on. well i just watched hainz's whole video on the l motor timing break down and rebuild just for a reference and gonna do a little more research. already ordered my complete fel pro head gasket set. well cant wait to put this head on and install the master cylinder. hopefully ill be able to move and stop, than ill just have to find out where the tranny leaks.. sigh

well yesterday i decided that i was going to swap the head out with a peanut head that i bought. i new exactly how i wanted it done. well my uncle insisted on helping me because he says i am a rookie.. which i am, but hes an alcoholic and when her gets to drunk the "rookie" has to tell him what to do. the first dumb thing he did was cut a return line instead of pulling it off, which didnt really hurt anything sense they needed to be replaced any ways. but any ways, i told him we were going to do the wooden block method for the timing chain so we wouldnt have to pull the front cover off. i had the engine and head timed to tdc so all we had to do was switch the heads. the second dumbest thing he did was drop the chain when i asked him to wedge the wooden block in... hes an idiot. so now i have to take off the front cover and time the engine while its still in the car. i have watched hainz video on timing religiously and am going to watch it again right now. ill probably be doing this by myself because i don't want him around my car. oh and when we were switching master cylinders he cut the brake lines from the cylinder cause he couldnt get the bolts off. and we still didnt get the mc on because the cylinder i had on the car isnt the same as the one i bought from frank. im pretty sure the 69's are different than 70-72's so i have to buy the actuating pin or what ever that connects the pedal to the cylinder and buy new brake lines. hes an idiot. But on a positive note, i got my air shocks in today. they work great and was probably the easiest thing ive installed on this car besides have to cut the bolts on the old shocks with a sawzal.

sorry i dont have pics up. my camera is broke and i dont have my phone with me right now. pic updates are coming soon tho=]

• 1 month later...

i havent updated my project in a while. might as well do it now.

a while ago i replaced my rusty shocks with air shocks and put in a few little misc items like momo steering hub and steering wheel and bluebird side markers.

my head blew a little bit ago, bent valves due to the rocker arms (3) breaking... hard revving haha

i replaced it with a peanut head and timed it but soon decided that i wanted a good running motor to put in it since ill be taking this thing to canby and the engine and tranny that was in it (auto) had to many problems. so friday frank came and picked it up and saturday they ripped the l20 and 5 speed out of his red 2 door, ripped my l16 out, and put the l20 in in one night. man there fast haha. ill get some pics and update asap unless wolfman or dillon posts some. cant wait to drive my car!!

haha dillon hates my 510=]

Whoa! You got the engine from the red car! That thing was pretty quick for a L motor. :D

ya frank hooked me up. i went to his house today and checked it out. i love the 5 speed and how short the throws are=] they welded the stock exhaust to the header lol so it sounds like a rotory. i love having a 510 that starts right up=] now all that needs to be done is the brakes and the car will be drivable. i still have to get it inspected by the state patrol and get it licensed. oh ya, most the lights work=]

still no picks guys=[ but it looks completely different now that its been thoroughly washed. engine bay is nice and clean. Dillon and frank cut the springs in the front cause it was disgustingly high lol and they also did some work on the front brakes, so now i have brakes=] Friday we take it to the exhaust shop to get the exhaust done (no more rotary sound) im going 2.5 inch pipe with carbon fiber exhaust tip that i have layin around. i also got a surprise in stock for my wheels =] (true ratsun)

night.

im going 2.5 inch pipe ???????? L motors need 2.5 inch????????

I run 1.75 in on my beater with 2in muffler but 2 inch would be perfect all the way out the back

Whoever owned mine before put 2.5 on, it's rusty as fuck though, I'm going 3" all the way back through a cherry bomb to go with a new manifold.

My first 510 I had 2.5 inch exhaust with HOOKER header to a Monza(Pimping for the day)

I learned my lesson. I actually LOST LOW end torq. That a was a L16 so you can imaging how much slower it took off.

But in My Mind I thought it made bigger HP cause it sounded COOLER.

Like a Bumble Bee in a Can with a megaphone to amplify it.

What sounds the Best is Twin Mikuni Carbs!!!!!!!

My first 510 I had 2.5 inch exhaust with HOOKER header to a Monza(Pimping for the day)

I learned my lesson. I actually LOST LOW end torq. That a was a L16 so you can imaging how much slower it took off.

But in My Mind I thought it made bigger HP cause it sounded COOLER.

Like a Bumble Bee in a Can with a megaphone to amplify it.

What sounds the Best is Twin Mikuni Carbs!!!!!!!

mmm mikunis=] im still trying to get my uncles off his l28

but idk, i think 2 1/2 is pretty big/over kill myself, and the 4 inch exhaust tip that i have is even more kill. do u think ill lose low end torque on the l20?

You go to ask the other guys on here??????

I think other 510 people will laugh at You unless you got a 300HP SR TURBO motor in there.

4 inch Can hole? is preety big for a L motor.

I think Of Asian kids with Big Cans on Hondas then I hear a Automatic transmission taking off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really its your car. Do with what you like.

But Seriosly I think a 2in and a Turbo type muffler will be less noisey which is what you want. That Nosiey Cool sound gets old really quick!!!!!!!!

Youll notice more as You get older.

2.5 inch????????yes I think youll lose torq.

Post on the 510 realm and see what they say with what motor you have.

You go to ask the other guys on here??????

I think other 510 people will laugh at You unless you got a 300HP SR TURBO motor in there.

4 inch Can hole? is preety big for a L motor.

I think Of Asian kids with Big Cans on Hondas then I hear a Automatic transmission taking off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really its your car. Do with what you like.

But Seriosly I think a 2in and a Turbo type muffler will be less noisey which is what you want. That Nosiey Cool sound gets old really quick!!!!!!!!

Youll notice more as You get older.

2.5 inch????????yes I think youll lose torq.

Post on the 510 realm and see what they say with what motor you have.

ha ya we went 2 inches on the exhaust. with 3.5 inch can hole. sounds good. and it looks sick. i decided not to put the big exhaust on there just because it come off of my honda lol. but i have pics, ill post soon=]

I only have 2.5inch on the l18t:cool:

i can only wish i had a turbo'd l motor.

some crappy cell phone pics are better than none right?

me and frank lowered it more yesterday:

PIC-0477.jpg

PIC-0480.jpg

PIC-0482-1.jpg

Some pics of the L20

PIC-0478.jpg

PIC-0479.jpg

My "Drift Charm":

PIC-0481.jpg

And the exhaust=]:

PIC-0483-1.jpg

PIC-0484-1.jpg