Truck won't turn over.

1lo620

Ok.. So I changed my fan belt and now the Damn truck won't turn over. I mean. Not even a click. But I can start it by arcing the starter with a screw driver. Battery is good,  truck ran great before I changed the fan belt. 

It is a L18 with an petronix ignition installed by Hainz years ago. And up until now never an issue. 

So any help or direction would help. Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the small Black/Yellow 'start' wire loose?

1/ Try jumping from the + battery lug on the starter to the start wire. If the starter works then there's no, or poor signal, from the ignition switch. As so often happens on old wiring there is enough of a voltage drop that the solenoid on the starter won't work with it. Both my 710s had below 8 volts on the start signal and starting was hit or miss. This is because battery power has to travel along the length of the harness and through multiple plugs to the ignition switch and then back out to the starter. Easily 18-20 feet. The fix is a hot start relay using the weak signal to power a relay that uses 12v directly from the battery to work the solinoid.

2/ If the starter does not work by jumping the start wire then the starter solenoid is at fault.  

pull the small starter wire and see if you get 12volts with the key in start.  A test light will work also.

to me its a weak selinoid 

try lugging up a female connector and wire and put on the selinoid tab. then  take the other end of wire and put on + side battery. starter should engage.(hope you have in Nuetral). If don't work it has to be the starter selinoid. if works then weak key switch signal(weak voltage)  then best to add a hot start relay

wiggle the back of the key switch connecter, maybe that will help

Edited by banzai510(hainz)