521 Transmission switches

Ben M

On the transmission on the 521, there are 3 switches near the back. During the disassemble process the wires to the switches got cut and unfortunately I don’t think they are salvageable. So my question(s) is this: What are the purpose of the switches? Do I absolutely need all 3 of them? And where would a good place be to find new ones? If it matters, I’m running stock everything. Stock engine, transmission, carb etc. Thank you!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DanielC will likely be able to tell you what each switch does and where it is at, one is for the backup lights, another one is likely an emissions switch for the dual points distributor, and maybe one is for when it is in a certain gear, but I am guessing on the last two suggestions on what they are, Dmike might know also.

I don't believe I used any of them except the backup lights switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the 1 that is by itself near top and closer to shifter rod is neutral gear switch and the 2 that are close together and closer to the bottom are for transmission switch 3rd gear and other is reverse gear switch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Greaser2 said:

If you don’t have original distributor then you can loose two of them. Just need the reverse.  

I only have the original distributor at the moment, do I 100% need to use the other two or could I get away with just the reverse gear?

• Like 1

For reducing pollution these switches allow the distributor to select an advanced or retarded set of points depending on the gear you are in, the throttle position, outside temperatures. Generally, running retarded will cut performance/mileage so I would just leave everything as is and remove or unplug the relay that enables the retarded set of points and drive away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ben M said:

I only have the original distributor at the moment, do I 100% need to use the other two or could I get away with just the reverse gear?

You can just use the one for reverse, and leave or plug the other two. Truck will still run, it just won't utilize the "retarded" set of points. There's a bit of irony there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1