Stock air cleaner to Weber - 521 with L20B

Tired of the Empi chrome brick on my Weber 32/36, so a weekend pandemic project. Followed the mklotz70 guide here. Found an acceptable spray paint color and install JUST clears the inside of my crooked hood. Only shiny thing on the truck. Quieter and I swear picked up power.

TfP3UME.jpg

Tricky to measure - hood clearance is tight with taller L20B in a 521, and the bottom of the housing can interfere with bits on the carb. Have an older 521 air cleaner I think looks nicer, but it’s taller and this 620 air cleaner was ugly before I started cutting.

9NvPrJJ.jpg

Chrome brick clearance:

BCA6p3U.jpg

Eyeball with clown shoes cover paint.

9SBQF7p.jpg

Remove bottom of the air filter – air saw, cutoff wheel, files and whatnot. I ended up re-clocking the bridge slightly and re-welding – that was a pain:

JvlZXCZ.jpg

Cut a scrap flat plate adapter to Weber. Mine’s a made-in-Italy DGAV. Best fit for air cleaner was centered:

iwQRQP2.jpg

Lots of mock-up measures. Position plate for lowest installation without fouling something. I’m learning how to weld – first sheet metal project! Need to prep better, also avoid gaps in fit-up:

BgqROEG.jpg

QW7WC8h.jpg

Ct7D1bR.jpg

My local Ace had a Krylon color Colormaxx Gloss Bahama Sea – cap looked a decent match under the flourescents in the store. This is a faded Z car air cleaner I was using to match. But color is brighter and more vivid aqua when compared in natural light. Wouldn’t use on concours project, but OK for Ratsun. Used glass beads in blaster to prep surface, remove red and faded paint:

b2J2oau.jpg

azV3qiB.jpg

LKZeWnd.jpg

Edited by Tucson620
  • Like 3
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/23/2020 at 9:49 AM, mklotz70 said:

I meant to post this last time I was here.  For anyone wanting to do this (or similar) with a weber, you can find the carb template on my site.  You should be able to print it out 1:1 as a pdf to use it as a template.  

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/weber-adapters.html

Forgot to mention this - very useful and I used for this project. Had to fool around with printing scale to get it correct though - maybe there's margins by default with my .PDF printing? Was too small, scaled down slightly.

• Like 1

Cool.  Good point to make for others reading this.  I'm happy to hear that you used it.  I put it up quite awhile ago. I think I've only heard of one other guy using it.

Maybe your printer settings had the scale setup different.  Most people run at "fit to page". I know I have my printer on 100% normally, but I don't know what the margins are set for.  The file is a pdf, so it should be accurate. If not, it's printer settings.  I just opened the file while on my site....clicked print and it came out right on the money.  I keep scales(rulers) and calipers at my desk since this is where I do most of my design work. :)  

• Like 1