A series head porting and polish

Hello everybody, 

So im new here and had a few questions about a head i just recently got at a pick a part.

So my plans are to port and polish and slap it on my A15 im rebuilding.  Its the h72 head and also has the #107 mark

Is this head a good head for the a15 block? What are some good tips on porting it? Lastly, i would like to know if i can shave down the valve seat guides?   Im open to ideas lmk

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you want oval intake ports and closed chamber heads. But I'll leave that for someone else.

Which ever head you decide to use, yes the valve guide can be trimmed to make them aerodynamic you can also cut them off flush with the port. Myself I wouldn't cut them off unless a total race engine. Smooth where the bottom of the valve seats meet the aluminum head. No sharp edges or lip. Grind away any casting flash. Does not have to be mirror smooth.

I like to gasket match the head and the manifolds as the openings are never a perfect match because of core shifting during the foundry process. Paint around all the ports with machinist's bluing. Center the new manifold gasket on the studs and then scratch the outline of all the ports with a scribe. Alternately you can just spray paint them. Remove the gasket and anything with paint can be ground away. Blend into the port walls and smooth as far as you can reach. Now do the same with both manifolds. When bolted together, intake and exhaust ports will align perfectly without any lips, are smoother and larger.                     

The guide supports the valve along it's length and they do wear. I think for stock application, good oil control and longevity I would leave them and just trim the sides to make more aerodynamic. If a race engine they would be replaced on a regular basis

Im in cali and its hard to come across parts in my area. A Series stuff is super rare..

Could i tap the holes in the exhaust ports and maybe put a bolt in them? Or jb weld them? 

I dont want to run this h72 head for long, i want to swap it out of my daily, remove the h89 head and rebuild it and put it back in. I jus wanted to have a spare head so i can still drive my car to work