side seal install on L16 main bearing cap

activemetal

Hi, does anyone have any tips for the rear main cap side seals (L16 engine)? i put the silicone in the side corners, set the main-cap in place 1/8 above bottom then inserted (pushed) the rubber seal down to the bottom (lips to the block), snugged up the cap and then tried to put in the metal shims (nail?) in between the cap and the seal (as the tom monroe book said with bevel toward the cap) but only got 1/2 way before the metal shim bent because it was so hard to push. So purchased a new seal kit and wanted to hear any tips before i re-tried to install. Thanks in advance for the help. Cheers

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put the bolts in but wouldn't tighten them till the seals are in place.

The Nissan manuals say to apply sealant to the side seals too before installing them. Maybe this 'greases' them and allows the steel shim to slide in easier? I've put them in before and used a hammer to gently tap them in.

datzenmike... thank you

FYI..... the guys on the facebook page Church or L strongly recommended going  with the OEM seals as they are much easier to install since the metal is embedded in the rubber ...they gave a part #  Nissan Part No.:12289-W0400.... so i will do that.  Thanks for all the help.  Cheers