Hand brake repair

BeeDogg

First time owner of a 79 Datsun 620 short bed 

hand brake isn’t working is there anything specific I should look for to try to repair or should I just replace the whole thing 

was told from previous owner once I turn it off to put it in 1st gear for it won’t move .. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried adjusting it? Be sure that both rear brakes are properly adjusted first before you adjust the parking brake.

Tighten parking brake adjustment under the rear center of the cab with wheels off the ground till they drag slightly. Handle should pull about 3-5 clicks to set the parking brake. Release the brake and make sure wheels are free to turn.

16 hours ago, BeeDogg said:

First time owner of a 79 Datsun 620 short bed 

hand brake isn’t working is there anything specific I should look for to try to repair or should I just replace the whole thing 

was told from previous owner once I turn it off to put it in 1st gear for it won’t move .. 

Where are you located & where did the 620 come from?  If in the "rust belt" (I was in Michigan 22 years!), then much of the e/brake parts might be completely un-usable, cuz of rust issues.  If not, then work with what you have............disassemble, clean, grease up & hope for the best!  E/brake cables appear to still be available from rockauto.com, but the other "hard parts" ie handle, linkage etc will likely be sourced as USED parts!

Truck was in north oregon 

handle and linkage is there going all the way back to the drum brakes but when I pull the handle nothing happens I’m hoping maybe it got disconnected somewhere or I just need to adjust I’m gonna be replacing the back brakes to might aswell look to see what I can replace 

I already ordered new brake hose and brake cylinder just need to find spring hardware kit

1 hour ago, BeeDogg said:

handle and linkage is there going all the way back to the drum brakes but when I pull the handle nothing happens I’m hoping maybe it got disconnected somewhere or I just need to adjust I’m gonna be replacing the back brakes to might aswell look to see what I can replace 

I already ordered new brake hose and brake cylinder just need to find spring hardware kit

I would guess that OR is a hit or miss for bad rust!  Check to see if the main cable from the handle to the "split point" (where the rear cables split off to each wheel) is functioning as it should, then continue back, checking the other parts.  If you find you need anything, I have a very clean Colorado parts truck.....just let me know!

TJ

Denver CO

23 hours ago, BeeDogg said:

Was hoping to avoid this but 'isn't working' is vague. So....

Handle will not pull out not working? The main cable is rusted in it's sheath

Handle pulls out a few clicks but brakes do not hold. One or both secondary cables are frozen. Try applying the parking brake over and over. If you can get them to move even slightly repeated use may finally release them fully.

Handle pulls out all the way but brakes do not hold vehicle on incline, not working? Adjust brakes then adjust the hand brake cable.

For a rusted parking brake cable you can just replace... if you can even find replacements. They are a pain to release from the backing plate but as they are not working and if you plan to replace they have to come off anyway. Remove them and spray WD-40 or any penetrating lubricant in the ends and try to get the cables moving. Try bending the cables to break the rust bond inside but don't kink and damage them. Hang vertically and let gravity work the lubricant down into the sheath.

If you ever get them working again ALWAYS set the parking brake when you stop and they will never rest and seize. Constant use keeps them loose and shiny.

5 hours ago, BeeDogg said:

North Oregon is very vague. That can be anywhere from the coast, to the northern Willamette Valley, to the farm lands and high desert east of the Cascades. The coast can be very rust prone, and even the northern Willamette Valley IF the e-brakes were not used regularly. However, east of the Cascade Mountians tends to be much drier. I'm assuming that "north Oregon" meant on the coast (very wet), or the Coast Range mountains (very wet), or maybe even the northern Willamette Valley (can be wet at times). This area can be very prone to rust, especially if the e-brakes were not used regularly. I'm assuming that the cables are rusty, and maybe even the brakes will need adjusting additionally. Pay real close attention to what datzenmike said, as he is probably spot on for where/what the problem is.

Once you have the problem with the e-brakes fixed used them regularly and the problem (except for adjustment of the rear brakes) will be non-existent.

Don

Edited by 620slodat

So I was able to remove my drums brakes are done very thin,splits, and missing piece on the shoe I had my kid pull the handle as I look at the brakes and nothing happens doesn’t open or close ..

I go under the vehicle right were they split when my kid pull the handle it berly moved gonna spray some wd40 on the split joint and on the backplate section 

Bought the brake cylinder brake hose new brakes but can’t seem to find the hardware kit 

everyone is out of stock. Amazon has a Carlson kit but looks like it doesn’t have the right springs