69 510, l20b

Didnt really come up with a good title. So here goes. I put my 69 2d 510 into a ditch a couple months back. I had just finished doing a zx brake swap, was testing them and merely hit the pedal too hard. Locked em up, lost control and landed in a ditch. 

Reason I'm typing this now... my boss swung by, took a look at the damage and believes its fixable. IF I had a frame table, and such.. so I jumped into it and started figuring out if the engine still runs, if it drives, so on and so forth..

Now, as a precursor, the car was on its driver side for about an hour or two. Then sat in a garage on all four tires for two months. I fired it up a day or two ago, and she fired right off, but runs like shit. Took it out anyways around my condo complex and she moved.. did the same today, but this time she smoked real bad on cold startup for about 5 mins then more or less cleared, but still runs like shit. By shit, I mean almost like she misfires..... the engine is an l20b, with a holley sniper efi throttle body, and a 123 bluetooth ignition. So basically fuel injected, and a new distributor. My question is why the hell is it running like shit? From oil filling the cylinders while it was on its side? If that even happened.. fouled plugs? sorry it's so long winded, but I'm long winded!! Here is a link to my build thread for those who want more info.. any and all is appreciated. Thanks...

Edit: I had to replace both rad hoses cause the battery came loose and broke both hoses. So i replaced them both, refilled the rad. Could it be an air pocket?

Edited by 510revisited
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have cooling problems? Then no. The cooling system has nothing to do with how it runs other than the temperature.

Remove and check/clean the plugs. Oil contamination is a real possibility.

Are there any diagnostics for trouble shooting the EFI or ignition???

Oil and rad levels are ok. I had to replace both rad hoses, so I made sure that was topped off. Checked the oil level before i fired it up, and it was ok, albeit a wee bit low, and dark (pcv issues after the last oil change). I was in the process of removing the plug wires, and managed to ruin one of them. The metal clip stayed on the plug when I removed the wire. I have a set of diy msd wires I'm gonna make up here pretty soon. But before that, I will pull all four plugs and inspect.. 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:11 AM, datzenmike said:

Do you have cooling problems? Then no. The cooling system has nothing to do with how it runs other than the temperature.

Remove and check/clean the plugs. Oil contamination is a real possibility.

Are there any diagnostics for trouble shooting the EFI or ignition???

I can run a data log with the efi system. Just gotta figure out how... I've done it before, but it's been a min.. 

Fouled plugs. Took them all out and everyone of them was black. #2 was wet and black. Didnt smell like anything in particular. Not sweet, not gas, not oil. Nothing. Cleaned all 4. Runs LOADS better. Funny thing is the wire I broke was #2. But I never ran it after, which leads me to suspect it was already fd up.. 

Edited by 510revisited
  • Like 1