510 Door Seal

CS310

Anyone have experience installing either Precision or Vintage Rubber Door seals on a 510?

After installing the seal the door doesn’t want to close.  If feels like the seal is interfering with the body side.  To determine the location of the interference, I cut a 12inch piece and mounted it in different locations around the door.  It appears the problem is coming from the front of the door.

I’ve tried both brands. The shape of both are very similar. The Vintage is a slightly better but still interfering. 

Any install tips or suggestions for another seal would be appreciated. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into something similar with my 521... what I found was the reproduction seals looked the same but did not seem to be the same material... they were alot stiffer and would not allow me to close the door either....

I'm not sure if your trying to stay factory original or not but I went with a generic seal sold by Mcmaster Carr.... worked good for me....

https://www.mcmaster.com/door-seals/water-and-weather-resistant-hollow-foam-rubber-push-on-seals-with-bulb-on-side/

• Like 1

I have installed a similar "bulb seal with welting" on a 510.  This bulb seal mounts on the door jamb pinch weld, NOT on the door.  If a resto, use OEM style, but if a restomod, the bulb seal is a great alternative!  I will be using bulb seal on my 521, like crashtd420 did.............😁

• Like 1
On 10/10/2020 at 7:36 PM, CS310 said:

Anyone have experience installing either Precision or Vintage Rubber Door seals on a 510?

After installing the seal the door doesn’t want to close.  If feels like the seal is interfering with the body side.  To determine the location of the interference, I cut a 12inch piece and mounted it in different locations around the door.  It appears the problem is coming from the front of the door.

I’ve tried both brands. The shape of both are very similar. The Vintage is a slightly better but still interfering. 

Any install tips or suggestions for another seal would be appreciated. 

I bought a 510 windshield gasket from Vintage Rubber. He sent me a Precision gasket with his label affixed over the precision label, which clearly showed it was made in Thailand. Then told me he owns the mold for precision gaskets. So.. at that point I never ordered anything from them again and would not recommend them. Datsport rubbers, all day, everyday.

Long story short, this could be why they both have a similar, yet poor fitment.

By the way you probably found the Precision gasket was cheaper, right? So did I when I ordered but I wanted to get a QUALITY gasket so I paid more. As it turns out, I just paid a lot more for the same repackaged part. So cool.

Edited by Draker
On 10/17/2020 at 9:14 PM, Draker said:

I bought a 510 windshield gasket from Vintage Rubber. He sent me a Precision gasket with his label affixed over the precision label, which clearly showed it was made in Thailand. Then told me he owns the mold for precision gaskets. So.. at that point I never ordered anything from them again and would not recommend them. Datsport rubbers, all day, everyday.

Long story short, this could be why they both have a similar, yet poor fitment.

By the way you probably found the Precision gasket was cheaper, right? So did I when I ordered but I wanted to get a QUALITY gasket so I paid more. As it turns out, I just paid a lot more for the same repackaged part. So cool.

You nailed it. I ordered the Precision first, and when they didn’t fit well, I told myself to pony up the extra dough and get the Vintage Rubber seals. 

I might order a set of Datsport seals.  I see people have goods things to say about their products.  I wish they had a typical online ordering system. 

1 hour ago, CS310 said:

You nailed it. I ordered the Precision first, and when they didn’t fit well, I told myself to pony up the extra dough and get the Vintage Rubber seals. 

I might order a set of Datsport seals.  I see people have goods things to say about their products.  I wish they had a typical online ordering system. 

it’s coming, but yeah not so good at the moment. Email them to get a quote then them will call you to take your card info over the phone. Really good folks. I’ve used them 3 times so far. 

I've heard nothing but GOOD about DatSport & the quality of their rubber parts............ 😎

We have to use Precision front & rear glass seals on our 240Z vintage race cars, cuz I don't think anybody else makes them.  They fit fair, the corners pucker & don't fit great, and although our cars look great, we simply use the Precision seals cuz they do "work" ok for us!