Running lights, side markers short

zrex

I have a blown fuse for my running lights, side lights, dash lights. Put in a new fuse and burned immediately. I did replace my water pump a few months ago and wiggled the battery a bit when installing upper radiator hose. I checked the fusible links and had voltage on both sides of the links. Any suggestions as to where to start looking for the short ?

thanks 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well under the passenger seat is a 10 pin connector. If you unplug it all the rear side markers, running and license lights are disconnected. Try a fuse and if it flows then it's not back there.

At the front there are two parking light/turn signals and two side marker lights. If you unplug then all and the fuse does not blow, plug them in one at a time till it does blow and you have the fault. If it still blows with the front lights unplugged the 'short' must be in the cab.

On the left side of the steering column near the front edge of the dash ate two 12? pin connectors, a white and a blue, side by side. Unplug and the dash electronics are disconnected. If the fuse stops blowing then there is a short in the dash cluster.

• Like 1

Mike, thanks for the directions, unplugged everything as you said. The 10 pin under the passenger seat was actually a 5 plug room lamp timer. Is this the plug your referring to ?I have the seat out and I’m not seeing another plug. As always thank you for your expertise. Fuse is still blowing 

Rex 

• Like 1

Mike, a update, I dug under the carpet and found the 10 pin connector .. unplugged pin and notice a lot of corrosion in a few connectors. 
new fuse didn’t blow and I have front running lights. I’ll clean up the 10 pin connector and go from there.. thanks for the help.

Rex 

• Like 1