Mid engine 620?

Ok didn’t find anything on this in the search so here goes.  I find nothing that isn’t $$$$ to make the L20b give up some hp.  Most I saw has been discontinued because of age.  Even with what’s out there not a whole lot of power, v8 swaps too heavy, v6 maybe.  Ok all that being said I’m looking at a 3.8 v6 out of a fwd Buick park ave., electronics and all at drag it away money. Has anybody tried or accomplished this here?

PS, did I mention a friend willing to throw in a complete turbo setup for it....😋

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You would need the 5 speed from the RWD S10 truck I think to make this work. You won't need a turbo, it'll go just fine with almost double the displacement.

I was thinking of using the entire FWD assembly, engine cradle and all if possible. Placing in the bed

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Ok didn’t find anything on this in the search so here goes.  I find nothing that isn’t $$$$ to make the L20b give up some hp.  Most I saw has been discontinued because of age.  Even with what’s out there not a whole lot of power, v8 swaps too heavy, v6 maybe.  Ok all that being said I’m looking at a 3.8 v6 out of a fwd Buick park ave., electronics and all at drag it away money. Has anybody tried or accomplished this here?

PS, did I mention a friend willing to throw in a complete turbo setup for it....😋

Or a Toronado drive assembly that has not already been converted to a dune buggy.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stinky said:

There is one featured on youtube, by motortrend.  Look for "Roadkill Episode 88"

Thanks!  I completely forgot about the Mazdarati.  That thing ended up getting stolen in Bakersfield or somewhere at a Motel they were staying at..

If the OP is going to so something as ridiculous as a mid engine truck, might as well go V8.  With a V6, the hotrod guys while think you're a wimp, and the Datsun guys will hate it whatever is in there.  Personally, I like ridiculous swaps like that...

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Duncan said:

Sorry.  You are looking to do a ridiculous rear/mid engine swap into a small truck, so I showed you one..

thanks for all your help.  Like I said in my post I was looking at it and wondered if anyone here had tried, you know as an option.  Beginning to think this site has a lot of out of work comedians or purist.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Beowulf said:

thanks for all your help.  Like I said in my post I was looking at it and wondered if anyone here had tried, you know as an option.  Beginning to think this site has a lot of out of work comedians or purist.  

Not a purist by any means.  If you have a V6, stick it under the hood.  I have seen a few SBC 620's and those fit. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Not a purist by any means.  If you have a V6, stick it under the hood.  I have seen a few SBC 620's and those fit. 

thank you.  I’m guessing 4.3 then would be a best bet as I can carb it.

• Like 1

The vg30 33s fit under the bonnet nicely. If you can get it as far back as it goes the weight on the front suspension is very similar to an l20b.  Decent extractors through the torsion bars are a challenge. Easier than a mid engine set up. Getting the vehicle balance on that set up would be difficult. 

• Like 1

Ok, VG series motors are too $$$$ for me.  This is a budget build. So that being said I just looked at one of the extra motors that came with the truck.  It’s an L20b with an A87  square port head. What could I expect out of it with a better cam, valve job and going maybe 30 over?  Local shop I’ve used before quoted me $5/600.00 everything hot tanking, all the normal stuff.  Eventually maybe a blow thru turbo system as money allows.  Any cam suggestions, looking at the Schneider racing cams site.  Fricking COVID furlough from work sucks!  Not looking for a race truck, but fun to drive.

Edited by Beowulf

Hot cams are for the race track, no one drives like that on the road unless they stole it.

I regretted even putting a RV cam in my work truck engine build(no torque), I found a Z22 and made a LZ23 out of it with a stock L20b cam, best L block engine I could have ever built for my work truck, a KA or VG30 would have likely been better but I do not regret what I did.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

It’s an L20b with an A87  square port head. What could I expect out of it with a better cam, valve job and going maybe 30 over?  Local shop I’ve used before quoted me $5/600.00 everything hot tanking, all the normal stuff.  Eventually maybe a blow thru turbo system as money allows.  Any cam suggestions, looking at the Schneider racing cams site.  Fricking COVID furlough from work sucks!  Not looking for a race truck, but fun to drive.

Stock is about 93 hp, maybe a little less with an A87 head as the Later L20Bs had larger ports. Don't cam it on a stock carburetor. Cam will want to flow more air in and out of the head and the stock carb will not deliver enough in and the stock exhaust won't flow enough out. There'll be some slight improvement but you won't get what you pay for. Fun to drive.. leave it stock. 

• Like 1

put that cheap buick  motor in the front and drive the shit out of it 

enjoy the power 

to get the same or near power out of an L motor your looking to spend thousands 

drop an LS motor in it light lots of power readily available 

your build do as you wish 

Back in the day...twas either a 231 (3.8) Buick or a V8.  I had guys look at my 2.6 V-6 and say, that is what I shoulda done.

4.3 is a good choice.

For the rear install, how about an Odyssey or Sienna motor.  The Ody is a 3.4? And has 225-250HP and 24 valves and goes like a bat.  The Sienna runs about the same.

Used busted vans are easy to find and cheap.

• Like 1