Vitamin D 1980 - 210

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gasoline! oof! i swear...that's all i smell! i was practically rolling around in it on Sunday draining the tank 🤢

now my fued neighbors probably think i'm draining it into the street... *sigh* great! there was barely 5gallons in it. now i have a full gas can and lawnmower. aaaand i ruined my favorite pair of leggings. i will drop tank tomorrow and begin to take out seats and carpet...goin' Brazilian!  💚

• Like 2

Also, in this age take pictures of everything you take apart. Take a picture of the door tag for information.

Get some gloves, gasoline will dry out your skin.

Get proper mask for breathing when tearing out the carpet. Old carpets are nasty.

Working on a Datsun get used to wearing coveralls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/8/2020 at 3:56 PM, 80datson said:

Also i would get a set of nice 13 inch wheels with a 2 step lip and lower it, 

I can't find 13" wheels that i like and that aren't $1,000 for a set 😭 

@80datson

Is there a secret wheel website!? 

My taste is very particular...looking for something with either chrome or aluminum with white/gold (something like that)

18 hours ago, witchespellmichelle said:

I can't find 13" wheels that i like and that aren't $1,000 for a set 😭 

@80datson

Is there a secret wheel website!? 

My taste is very particular...looking for something with either chrome or aluminum with white/gold (something like that)

You could try Croooober. All the wheels are in Japan but they quote the freight upfront so you know what your total cost will be. I had a good experience buying wheels there. 

https://www.croooober.com/en/

• Thanks 1

Wheels are the last on the list. Nothing sadder that $1,000 + worth of wheels on a car on blocks. You can't enjoy/see them when driving, only in the driveway. Take care of your comfort, (interior) brakes, (safety) suspension, engine power, transmission. (enjoyment) first. Bling is much farther down the list, or should be. Nothing says you can't dream about them though.

• Like 1

Thanks! @Z23T  I'm glad you have had a good experience from there... cuz it looked sketchy! i did happen to look through their stock and didn't find anything which caught my eye...and i felt that they were a bit spendy...some are only a set of two for like $628 i'm like ... ugh! >_<

I like to have all my goodies bought while i do my projects tyvm...keeps me more motivated to get it all done ^~^

• 2 months later...

So, I didn't have any tools to fix up my Datsun, so I told my family the things I needed. After the holidays, I splurged and bought some tools to help. My family was really skeptical that I would even take on this project. After a month of waiting for tools, after me and my partner being sick, after losing 2 immediate family members, and gaining some personal time to myself with my partner out of the house to watch the football game today and the weather giving me a break and in a really good mood...I started on some sanding to get a lot of things ready for body work and hopefully paint in a month or so...so I hope.

My mom didn't think I was going to do this project, so she gave me her car. lol so this is my newest ride.

50920358383_a64dcb64b4_k.jpg50921050441_67cb222c4a_k.jpg

I like it...its a lot of fun to drive. It's a 2005 Infiniti g35 4dr sedan. Pretty low miles for its age. Lots of goodies I want on it.

I took some before pics of the Datsun. The rust was kinda bad, but not really as bad as I imagined it was.

50921056031_9b2b594fb9_k.jpg50921176112_7a8e188c0d_k.jpg50921049896_ff9fa4d323_k.jpg50921050036_2647e83513_k.jpg50920357838_699f47afc7_k.jpg50921050311_c8ce6c3c92_k.jpg50920357373_b874c00445_b.jpg

The trunk was the worst...and I still have yet to take it on. I wanted to remove the pin striping and trim from the sides. Also, I am going to do mirrors on the fenders, rather than the just the one on the driver's side. I found some time to snap a selfie with the Datsun. I have a bad washer and dryer in my garage so I could only do one side at a time. I wrestled around with my sander a lot today, so most of the sanding was done by hand. Just P80 grit today. I will skip P100 and try some P120 on my next free Sunday.

50920358488_67856c4ecc_b.jpg50921177122_a78ee21ce7_b.jpg50920358778_903f78faa4_b.jpg50921051131_db58f534b0_b.jpg50921051296_fdf2212687_b.jpg50921177787_6ba2b4a445_b.jpg50920359273_9b814f48b2_b.jpg50920359483_06ed019fdd_b.jpg

The gas tank had 10 holes in the top of it...I will need to repair. I tried to keep warm. My knees hurt, but I do it for the D. All in all, I still had fun today... hope to do more. I have yet to get to the interior. I will keep you posted! -bella

50920357358_d77ec05526_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, you've taken on a big project!  There's a lot to do but don't let that stop you from dreaming.  Remember how much work you've already put into it and all you have
learned from it.  And good on you for deciding to keep an older car on the road - as previously stated, there's no feeling like it.

Lot's of good advice so far.

-Definitely get the ROW52 app for searching junkyards

-Rockauto.com is amazing

-The Olympia WA Nissan dealer is specializing in older Datsun parts and are very helpful.  https://www.nissanparts.cc/

-Factory service manual will save your ass.  Live by it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

80 grit is rough... in my experience painting 120 is as rough as I’d go.  Those scratches you have are very deep.  When you go to paint you may end up seeing those scuffs through the new paint.  

The only way to get around that, is to put a thin skim coat of body filler all the way down the car and use a really good sandable primer down and use lots of guide coat.

You’re using the edge of the sanding pad and too much pressure. Or, you’re using that scuff wheel on the grinder, which I feel is more likely based on the pictures.  To pull a pinstripe in the future I’d suggest using a heat gun and a razor blade.  

I’ve done paint, fab, and wiring as a hobby for more than 20 years. I’m happy to help where I can with information.  My response may seem harsh, but I’d like to see you not make the same mistakes I did when I was starting out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate the help! I will try the heat-gun on the other side when i get to it (hopefully next Sunday). Everywhere that you seen metal, in the pics above, i covered with bodyfiller. I used 120 grit on the filler on one pass then the rest was all 150 grit. and i kept datzenmike's note and got some flat white primer on it all after i was done. i'm afraid i'm having issues finding my high/low spots. i feel like it'd be easer to find them unforatunately after it's painted...or with a gloss or shine. i also feel like i should use some super fine filler to fill in a couple small pin-holes i try to keep sanding down. I already know i will have to re-work that side alone at least 2 more times. ugh. my arm is like shot today at work from being outside for 6 hours. My hand is tingling and kinda numb and my knee got bruised from kneeling on extension cords and wires in the garage and my respirator was on so tight, it feels like my face hurts. At least the gas tank is done. I will have to post some pics in a couple of days. oh...and my drivers door window came down when i was sanding...great. That leaves me with only one good door that doesn't have a broken window track or only one door that opens. *sigh* i get easily discouraged, but i'm desperately hard to stay with it. having the gas tank complete was so nice tho!

• Like 1

This is the best way I’ve found to even out those high/low spots. It’s called guide coat. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Dry-Guide-Coat/?N=5002385+3293223475&rt=rud

When I first started I used black spray paint, but it would clog my pads. Eastwood makes an aerosol version of this but I get better results if I can just put it on and keep working.  To properly use it, put it on in a circular pattern the get you 10-12” long sanding block and hand sand it in a cross hatch pattern.  You really shouldn’t use a powered sander for final sanding of filler.

For the pin holes you can use a skim coat of an epoxy based sealer. POR15 makes one for this type of application.  Just make sure to get the sandable one. 

https://www.por15.com/por-15-patch-filler-and-seam-sealer

As far as tutorials I’ve seen on the net I’d suggest this guy.  Brian explains this stuff well, and he’s not super annoying.

https://youtube.com/c/PaintSociety 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, witchespellmichelle said:

oh...and my drivers door window came down when i was sanding...great

I may have a full set of window regulators somewhere around here. Can check this weekend.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Soundline  for the 3M link and LOTS of helpful and useful information. I do like that PaintSociety guy too...I had to laugh at not super annoying...which is so true, i've seen his cheap spray gun video. I plan to spray the car myself. As much as i hate to hear that i should be hand sanding the last half...it probably does make sense. I did pick up a 3m sanding block, so i will have to try the hatch pattern. I thought about using black primer as well to see if i could see my problem areas, but i really want to try that guide coat instead.

@KELMO to be honest i'm so scared to look into these doors. my biggest worry is that i won't be able to see what the problem is or that i wouldn't be able to find out how the regulators/tracks/clips door locks and everything goes and works. like i said...only one door works fine the other 3 don't lock/un-lock roll up or down, nor open. 😟

I REALLY appreciate and love to read your comments ♥

When i was new at this hobby, i had similar fears about getting in to something like the doors and making things worse not better.

I found going to a pull it yourself junkyard where it didn't matter if i broke it helped me a ton.  I realize you won't find your exact car there, but any 80s to early 90s car with manual windows and locks will still be similar enough for you to see how they work, how stuff fits in a door, etc.  I suggest spending a few hours breaking someone elses stuff to prepare for fixing yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

lynnwood pick and pull on 99 just north of the harley dealership iirc. but i don't make it that far south on 99 usually and may not be anywhere near you. your location of seattle is a rather large area but i don't know any of the wrecking yards in seattle. try to stay out of seattle actually

• Thanks 1