Vitamin D 1980 - 210

Almost a month ago, after getting rid of my SRT8, I had been looking for an additional car (a car to commute with) every day. but i luv something fun, so it had to catch my attention.

I seen this 1980 Datsun 210 at a used car dealership, but i wasn't there for the Datsun...i was there for a 1965 dodge dart. with 1350 in cash, i test drove the dodge dart...and it wasn't a pleasant experience. The brakes were sloppy, it was over-heating, had exhaust leaks, there weren't any lights, no electrical in the dash, it pulled on the steering and there was A LOT of play in the wheel...it was not what i expected. come to feel that this was a much bigger project than i wanted, but it was sure cute.

So i had asked the guy there about the Datsun that i had been keeping an eye on. he grabbed a battery starter thing, but it didn't need it. it fired right up. I took it for a test drive. everything felt awesome...like a glove...i knew that i was happy with this. i was getting really excited, so...i bought it, while my family shook their heads lol! (as always).

It's a 1980 Datsun 210 Automatic with 139,000 original miles on it. It has the round headlights and the smaller taillights. it's all original...with original glass and windshield and i love it! white exterior, blue interior...with lots of rust! No keys fit/work the doors, no windows roll down, I have to open the drivers door only from the outside...it's quite comical. i think it's funny that it takes me forever to get up to 65mph with the super skinny tires. 

I want this thing to run right,  before i make it all super adorbs n cute (first time for that). I installed a new Gates belt, NGK wire set, and NGK plugs on it...it started to run even better. i filled it up with gas and drove it to work. i noticed that i was able to get up to 70mph on the flat highway, but i started to smell fuel...like bad. Once i got there...everyone loved it, but one of the guys said that i have fuel dripping onto the ground from the fuel tank. I drove it home (leaking) of course...it's fiiiiine...and it stunk up the garage, then the house. so i parked it outside, and accidentally broke off my one and only mirror on the drivers side of the car (that would be me) when backing up. but i have to find out where the leak is coming from. it smells like it's leaking inside the trunk or into the car...i don't see dripping anymore. i think a seal? or leaky hose? ugh! time to take out seats/shit in the trunk. i have 2 spare tires lol and 2 cans of fix-a-flat BONUS!

anywho...the girls in the office were giggling at the 'D' in the grill...so i have to get a disney decal that says "i love the 'D'" lol! so they have named it for me as; Vitamin D.

here's the dealer website of pics n shit...i don't have any yet...but i'm sure happy and excited to be here and to have this car

https://horizonllceverett.com/vdp/16185253/Used-1980-Datsun-280ZX-for-sale-in-Everett-WA-98204

-Bella

• Like 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, witchespellmichelle said:

I installed a new  NGK wire set, and NGK plugs on it...it started to run even better.

-Bella

Excellent. Good going.

Look under the car for the leak. I think the tank is in front of the rear bumper to the right side of the spare tire well and under it with all the fuel lines outside the cabin. Fix this fast.

• Thanks 1
On 10/1/2020 at 12:16 PM, datzenmike said:

Look under the car for the leak. I think the tank is in front of the rear bumper to the right side of the spare tire well and under it with all the fuel lines outside the cabin. Fix this fast.

Thank you so much for this! it helped me out so much! On Sunday, I opened the trunk and took off the covers to the fuel tank. I didn't see any leaking, which is very frustrating. The hoses didn't look too bad, they weren't wet, but i can definitely see the fuel dripping underneath the car. It's almost as if there were a rust hole in the actual fuel tank. I think it would have to be dropped to see it better.

20 hours ago, 80datson said:

you should check the fuel lines that go from the tank to the hardlines, somewhere between the tank and the axle. it should be passengerside area behind the rear axle 

Thank you so much! I will check there when i get home.

I had my step-father take a look at it...he thinks it's a split in the tank. it's leaking from the top, of the tank but in the very back...like right behind the rear bumper. The trunk is all rusted out...i can see the gas tank through where the spare tire was sitting. I think i'm going to drop the tank...clean off all that rust, repair the crack, paint it and have someone weld a plate over where the spare tire was. then i can put the tank back up.

I started the car yesterday and it's almost empty, so should be a little easier when it's empty to lower it. I also watched (2) YouTube videos...so i'm pretty much qualified 🤪

• Like 1

The tank is made from two parts with a seam weld all around the middle forming a small ledge that collects dirt that remains wet and can cause rust out. If you remove it it has to be fixed.

There are two part epoxy liners you mix and pour in and coat the insides. You have to have the tank out and the sender removed. The kit comes with a etcher primer to clean the tank and you roll the tank around to completely coat the inside. Follow directions and get good results.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The tank is made from two parts with a seam weld all around the middle forming a small ledge that collects dirt that remains wet and can cause rust out.

There are two part epoxy liners you mix and pour in and coat the insides. Follow directions and get good results.

Thank you for the info! I'm sure i will figure out what that seam weld looks like, as soon as the tank is out. Also, i wouldn't have ever thought there would be an epoxy liner kit...sounds neat!

lol @ roll the tank around...my neighbors might find that quite comical...me wrestling a tank in the front yard. this will be fun! 😣😵🥴

• Haha 1

Hell no, just saying this what you should expect to see when it's out. The outward seam makes a small ledge for dirt to collect on from the wheels. It stays damp and can cause rust to form. Have a look and see but probably go with the tank liner.

The thing is...

You have one now, Datsuns tend to multiply and if you have a keen eye parts are available. 

Row52.com saved searches are helpful as well as car-part.com for used stuff.

Rockauto.com and your local parts place are good for new rebuilt service items.

Don't worry about the rust and keep at it, sheet metal is replaceable. 

• Like 1

I have over 100 hours of labor invested in my 510 wagon alone.  My sister once told me it still looks like i dragged it out of a junkyard yesterday.  I laughed at her.

If you absolutely rely on this car for all daily driver duty, it is reasonable to think it might be too much.  If its a toy, then this is a labor of love and worth every step.

Fyi, best easy way to fix that spare tire well is go cut one out of another car.  I don't mean another of the same model.  I mean just measure it for size and go check out junkyard cars for one the same size.  Cut and weld (or have someone do it).

Keep at it.  There is no insanity more gratifying than an old car that still runs and its YOUR fault. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly if it was me, i would just fix the gas leak issue, tune up the engine like you did make sure the engine runs tip top shape and get the seats reupholstered, put a new carpet and just drive it and enjoy it, i personally wouldnt mind any of the rust, it gives it character. 

7 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Fyi, best easy way to fix that spare tire well is go cut one out of another car.  I don't mean another of the same model.  I mean just measure it for size and go check out junkyard cars for one the same size.  Cut and weld (or have someone do it).

This is a great way to fix it. if you don’t have a welder, panel bonding agents can work as well. Basically super glues it together. 

If you love the car, just chip away at it. No welder? You have some rust holes? Chop it out, fiber glass it. Whatever you gotta do to keep it on the road as your daily driver. 

If you come across another one in better shape, turn this into a parts car. Really up to you where you want to take it. One step at a time.

Or just drive it like it is and enjoy your time with it. No harm is just letting it do it’s rusty thing.. unless it’s a safety issue.

Edited by Draker
  • Like 1

Never throw an old or used part away. I've taken old parts apart to salvage some smaller part to keep something else going.

Find ways to use a different part for one that is impossible to find.

Learn to fabricate your own parts.

Buy a FSM (factory service manual) for your year car. Leave in the bathroom and read it every morning.

Buy tools as you need them.

• Like 2