521 heater hose

banzai510(hainz)

whats the fix for the 521 heater hose from head to heater . Mine popped yesterday but lucky I caught it.

I just shortened the hose ans reclamped it back on.

What have people don't to fix this since I was told the stock hoses are NLA. Don't know How true that is but was told that by my local dealer.

I seen people use exeisting ones if someone has part numbers

Thanks.

the end sizes are slightly different. the head elbow size is bigger than the heater core inlet

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If 5/8 hose (like 510), I have used a Dayco 80407 for the preformed 90deg on one end, then you end up with 2+ feet of 5/8 straight for another project!  I just looked at my 521, looks like you need an "S" shaped hose, which you could buy qty 2 of Dayco 80407, use the 2 90deg preformed ends, use a connector in between to create an "S", but that's too many hose clamps for me!  I would think that there is an "S" hose that somebody else might suggest!  Following!

I just read that you think the cyl head elbow vs the heater core tube are different sizes.........??  Ugh 😣 that complicates things!

• Like 1

Gates 18077 can be used for heater to timing cover nipple. One end is 5/8 and the other end is 3/4. Not great, but it works if you over-tighten the heater end. The PO of my truck did the same thing with the other hose, but there’s no P/N.

Or, you can try this:

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
On 9/22/2020 at 6:36 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

whats the fix for the 521 heater hose from head to heater . Mine popped yesterday but lucky I caught it.

I just shortened the hose ans reclamped it back on.

What have people don't to fix this since I was told the stock hoses are NLA. Don't know How true that is but was told that by my local dealer.

I seen people use exeisting ones if someone has part numbers

Thanks.

the end sizes are slightly different. the head elbow size is bigger than the heater core inlet

Not sure it's the same fitting but in the "how to" section I posted a heater hose from firewall to engine block hoses build including part numbers and SKU tag ID. Use search function in How To to find.  Readily available parts plus a little cut and brass splices and you will look factory and more important, you will work!

Title DIY Heater Hose, 10 Sept 2010. easy search.

Edited by MikeRL411
added reference data.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

In the link I posted above, he used an 18457 for both of them, you just cut them differently depending on what hose you're replacing. 

Here's the picture for the short "S" one: 

DatsunHeaterHoseShort-1R_zps9004ea40.jpg

There it is!! 😎  I'm grabbing a couple of these, one to replace on my 521 & another as a spare to keep around!

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

The hoses on my 521 are 1/2 inch at the heater, the engine connections are 14 MM.   Datsun 521 trucks use Imperial measurements on the body, and metric on the engine.

fiveoneO remember this.   Body bolts on the 521 are all SAE, 7/16-20, 3/8-24, 5/16-24, 1/4--28, 10-32, 8-32.

I have had 521 trucks since the 1970's, and have two currently running and registered.

See these threads.

https://ratsun.net/topic/49698-my-dragon-datsun-521/

https://ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521-now-with-l-20-b-and-a-five-speed/

• Like 1