Timing chain guide questions

Negative Ghostrider

I'm putting the timing chain guides and I thought I read/saw somewhere that not all the bolts were the same length and you had to be careful where they went, but none of my books seem to say anything about that or about bolt specs in general. I have one bolt that is slightly shorter than the other 3. Is that correct? With the other weird stuff I have found on this engine it wouldn't surprise me if I just got a random short bolt in the mix from a previous owner.

I know that the tight side only has lock washers and the slack side has lock and flat washers. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thermostat housing has long and short bolts. The long one is at the front and if lost or replaced with one that is too long it will rub the timing chain inside.

The tension side should just support the outside of the chain. The slack side, hold the tensioner all the way in and shove the guide as far to the driver's side and tighten.

19 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Thermostat housing has long and short bolts. The long one is at the front and if lost or replaced with one that is too long it will rub the timing chain inside.

The tension side should just support the outside of the chain. The slack side, hold the tensioner all the way in and shove the guide as far to the driver's side and tighten.

OK. This must be what I was thinking of. Thanks. I'll just use the short bolt on the tight side since it has fewer spacers. 

Edited by Negative Ghostrider

Stoffregen - Well, I'm far past this point by now so I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. I will remember this for the time time if there is one, though. 

Hainz- according to videos and books that specify in the illustrations the tight side had split washers, and the slack side had splits and flats for some reason. 

35 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I might have mentioned it in my vedio  cant remember. I always put bolts back in to the spot as Datsun from covers always had different sizes and I got confussed.

really I have another motor in the garage I just copy from

I did that with a lot of them but I also had some help so I didn't do everything and I just wanted to be sure. I wish the books bothered to break down the sizes of the bolts in the diagrams or descriptions.