Josh Hicks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Josh Hicks said:

Wondering whats out there for aftermarket hubs for the 521. I have been searching and cant find a definite answer to what will work 

I just bought one from Amazon,  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQV9CM1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iqryFbRQ77HYX

I think any one listed for datsun of the era works.... 

I did have to move the turn signal switch closer to get the horn and turn signal cancellation to work.... 

It was a tight fit putting the steering wheel on and not having the horn honk constantly... I had to grind the end of the steering column flush with the nut... it was contacting the horn inside....

I used the short hub because I didnt want the steering wheel closer to me but if you have shorter arms a longer hub might be better....

I think everyone ends up with that small gap unless they fab something up..... 

I dont think it looks to bad....

20200821-190206.jpg

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I just bought one from Amazon,  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQV9CM1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iqryFbRQ77HYX

I think any one listed for datsun of the era works.... 

I did have to move the turn signal switch closer to get the horn and turn signal cancellation to work.... 

It was a tight fit putting the steering wheel on and not having the horn honk constantly... I had to grind the end of the steering column flush with the nut... it was contacting the horn inside....

I used the short hub because I didnt want the steering wheel closer to me but if you have shorter arms a longer hub might be better....

I think everyone ends up with that small gap unless they fab something up..... 

I dont think it looks to bad....

20200821-190206.jpg

It says that you need to use the hub with a quick release but I'm not seeing one here. Does it really make a difference other than how close your wheel is?

• Like 1

Ya I dont know why it mentions the quick release.... it is not that type of hub at all.....

Also I forgot to mention by moving the turn signal switch closer the blink lever is really close to the steering wheel when the high beams are on.... 

I have thought about cutting the handle by a couple inches or making an inbetween adapter ..

Someone here made an inbetween adapter but I dont know if it was to fill the gap or make things work proper... I think if you turned a piece of aluminum to fit where the horn contact ring is on the hub, this would fill the gap and would allow usage of the horn and with a couple proper placed holes you could add pins for the turn signal cancellation... obviously you need a lathe to do that but it's a possible option... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Ya I dont know why it mentions the quick release.... it is not that type of hub at all.....

Also I forgot to mention by moving the turn signal switch closer the blink lever is really close to the steering wheel when the high beams are on.... 

I have thought about cutting the handle by a couple inches or making an inbetween adapter ..

Someone here made an inbetween adapter but I dont know if it was to fill the gap or make things work proper... I think if you turned a piece of aluminum to fit where the horn contact ring is on the hub, this would fill the gap and would allow usage of the horn and with a couple proper placed holes you could add pins for the turn signal cancellation... obviously you need a lathe to do that but it's a possible option... 

Your low beams are forward on the stalk and highs are to the rear?  Or did I misread?  Mine are the opposite?

And kudos to the o.p.  I spent two hours looking up wheels for my 521.  He got my question answered before I could ask it.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Your low beams are forward on the stalk and highs are to the rear?  Or did I misread?  Mine are the opposite?

And kudos to the o.p.  I spent two hours looking up wheels for my 521.  He got my question answered before I could ask it.

I'll have to go double check I haven't been driving this whole time with my high beams on....

I'm pretty sure when I pull the lever toward me the little red light on the dash for the high beams comes on....

:Confirmed .... lever toward me, red light on, 4 headlights on.... forward is my low, 2 lights....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

How long is the whole setup from the start of the gap to the end of the hub? (trying to estimate how deep of a steering wheel I can comfortably afford) 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Josh Hicks said:

How long is the whole setup from the start of the gap to the end of the hub? (trying to estimate how deep of a steering wheel I can comfortably afford) 

Shallow wheels  / very very little dish / no deep corn wheels. 

Edit: For reference, this is a "deep corn" style wheel - it extends towards you:

91CIT8ivUgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

this is the kind you want that is almost flush with the horn:
1908110016876s0.jpg

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'll put this up too....  ignore the bolts going through the end of the hub....

20200915-175241.jpg

This is the back of a factory steering wheel hub, the horn contact would ride where those bolts are.. you can also see the location where the cancellation pins should be.... you can also see a recess ..

The aftermarket hubs seem to be flush and do not have this counterbore.... 

I think this is the difference and what causes problems for people.. for reference its about 8mm or .315 inch..

I could be wrong but it seems the bottom of the counterbore is where the aftermarket hub stops on the column...

So the factory hub reaches out toward the switch that extra 8mm... 

I dont know if any one makes a proper adapter ... everyone describes these issue no matter if they have an expensive hub or a cheap one.... I never bothered looking past a cheap one....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

From what I've read a Datsun 521 spline is the same for a 240z / 510 / 620  and any should work. 

Correct!  I had a USED hub & steering wheel from a 510, threw on my 521 to be able to move it.  Yes, I have the same gap.  I didn't look at t/s cancellation etc, but years ago I installed a Momo on my 1998 240SX.  The hub kit was likely for an earlier 240SX WITHOUT an airbag, so it fit, but I had to lengthen the two pins on the backside that "cancelled" the turnsignals.  They were simple "split pins", so found the correct diameter & length I needed at the hardware store & it worked great!  I will pull the wheel/hub off my 521 & see if it is a similar situation....................I hate having to manually cancel the turnsignals! 😆

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Josh Hicks said:

I'm looking for this measurement 45195626-B87-E-4933-B38-C-282955455945.j

Every hub from various manufacturers could have a different "depth", even for the same application.  Are you looking to rectify that gap or maybe you want a deeper hub to move whatever steering wheel you use closer to you or as far away as possible?  I have seen thick spacers to push wheel closer to you, goes between the hub & wheel, but you need to identify the hub & wheel bolt patterns first.........there are at least 3-4 different bolt patterns ie Grant, Momo etc!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Josh Hicks said:

I'm looking for this measurement 45195626-B87-E-4933-B38-C-282955455945.j

Ok that's a total of 2"...

1.75 for the hub

1/4 gap....

I'm guessing I'm slid forward another 1/8 or so past where the little screw stop ends. (If left where it was suppose to be, the gap was probably 3/8)... in the steering column theres a little slot with a screw from the turn signal switch... I guess it is an anti rotation thing or something ... I unscrewed it so I'm not in the slot anymore... I have no idea how to describe its function... once you take things apart you'll see what I mean....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Ok that's a total of 2"...

1.75 for the hub

1/4 gap....

I'm guessing I'm slid forward another 1/8 or so past where the little screw stop ends. (If left where it was suppose to be, the gap was probably 3/8)... in the steering column theres a little slot with a screw from the turn signal switch... I guess it is an anti rotation thing or something ... I unscrewed it so I'm not in the slot anymore... I have no idea how to describe its function... once you take things apart you'll see what I mean....

Thank you! Definitely going to get that hub and will measure up tomorrow to see how deep of a steering wheel I can comfortably use

• Like 1

FYI for those interested - JakeMakes is tinkering with the idea about making a new 3d printed steering column shroud that will replace the stock one and take up the gap that is left when you use a boss / grant hub. May want to go pester him about it in a nice way - on Facebook. 

Edited by BrothersGarage
  • Like 3
  • 3 years later...

I purchased an adapter for a 510, it definitely does not fit the spline on my 1971 521. I need to do the conversion as my original wheel is falling apart. Can anyone send me a link for one that will actually fit?

3 hours ago, N8. said:

I purchased an adapter for a 510, it definitely does not fit the spline on my 1971 521. I need to do the conversion as my original wheel is falling apart. Can anyone send me a link for one that will actually fit?

One for a 510 should work?

Post a link to what you bought....

This a Pic from the listing of the one I bought....

Screenshot_20240415_184227_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I’m not 100% sure how I achieved this but between the grant wheel and installation kit, I have no gap, that’s the only 2 items I remember purchasing….

IMG_2903.jpeg

• Like 4