Passenger side brake light and reverse light not functioning.

jboulukos

Someone told me “hey, nice car, do you know your right brake light is out?”  So I had a bulb in the glove box but a new bulb didn’t fix the issue. I noticed the turn signal light from the same side works then noticed, looking in the reflection of a store window, that my reverse white light is out too.   I examined the bulb housing and discovered that it it cracked slightly.  The bulb still spun in there fine though.  Let me know where to start.  I imagine I need to pull out my multimeter and check continuity of each wire. Let me know how to go about this. 

FDC8C1EA-5CB0-4172-BBBD-A5586CCED967.jpeg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the turn signal works then the ground isn't the problem.

If reverse is out, most likely bulb is burned out or corroded and not making contact. Simple fix, replace or clean it.

Turn and brake use the same filament. The turn signal has to disconnect the brake signal on the side the turn signal is used on, and then connect the turn flasher to it. When finished turning the flasher is disconnected and the brake re-connected again. So no brake means no signal from the turn signal switch.

• Like 1

So I cleaned out the brake light socket contacts by scratching the metal with a screw driver and then spraying with electronic contact cleaner.  Still no brake light.  Replaced same side reverse light, success with working reverse lights.  Swapped brake light bulbs with opposite side, same result, no passenger brake light. Noticed same side rear side marker light out, replaced and works.  So one of the wires leading from the turn signal to the brake light might be the culprit? 

No.

The brake and the signal use the same wire and bulb.  If the signal works then the wire and bulb are fine.

As the brake and the turn signal can't be on at the same time, the turn signal switch on the column has to disconnect the brake signal and then connect the flasher. Probably a solder joint came undone. I had this happen on my 620. Take the two part plastic clam shell off the steering column. Remove steering wheel and you can access the turn signal switch on the column.

• Like 1

Opened clamshell, looked at turn signal mechanism, cleaned out grime with cotton swab. I looked at all solder joints that I could see and it all looked intact.  I went back to the brake bulb socket and noticed one of the two contact humps was recessed past the base.  I believe a new socket will fix the issue.  I dug around the plastic base to free up the bump however it’s not really moving and may be even more recessed now. See oic. 

774FC454-6689-499A-BE1A-877431F48DBD.jpeg

Edited by jboulukos
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, jboulukos said:

Opened clamshell, looked at turn signal mechanism, cleaned out grime with cotton swab. I looked at all solder joints that I could see and it all looked intact.  I went back to the brake bulb socket and noticed one of the two contact humps was recessed past the base.  I believe a new socket will fix the issue.  I dug around the plastic base to free up the bump however it’s not really moving and may be even more recessed now. See oic. 

774FC454-6689-499A-BE1A-877431F48DBD.jpeg

Possible temporary [or maybe permanent] fix is the use a narrow tipped soldering iron or gun and put a good drop of solder into the submerged connecting pip.  The rest of the connector looks good from a quick view.  Use resin core, not acid core [plumbers ] solder.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

I may have steered you wrong. I should know better having owned a new 76. The outside light is the turn and the brakes are separate. Sorry for that.

You’ve steered me right so many times Mike.  No need to mention that.  I’m thankful to belong to such a solid forum. The forum actually is a huge part of the enjoyment of owning my Datsun.  The thrill of fixing the things that arise with knowledge and hands...

• Like 1