720 Steering box interchanges

matrophy

Looking for a rebuilt and/or used steering box for my 86 720 2WD Z24 w/o power steering and not having a lot of luck. From looking at RockAuto's site, I see that the same part number of steering box,

specifically Maval #9808M, show up as fitting these Nissans:

720  - 86 (only)

D21 - 86-88 and 90 (probably 89 too but Rock Auto doesn't show that part as a choice)

Pathfinder - 89-92

I realize this isn't the most scientific way of looking this up but interchange searches that I can find on the net don't help.

Does this seem like a good list of what vehicles I should be looking at to find a steering box that is correct?

• Like 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

720 manual steering box: 48010-04W00 2WD & 4WD show to be the same.

D21 manual steering box: 48010-01G00

WD21 manual steering box: 48010-01G01

By part # they do not interchange but Nissan may have changed the part #'s for warranty purposes (?).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, Charlie69 said:

Good info Kelmo. I did not know the 4x4 and 2WD boxes were the same on 720s.  Are the pitman arms different between the 4x4s and the 2WDs?

Pitmans between a 2wd and 4x4 are different by what I have seen.  Different part numbers.  4x4 appears to still be available thru manufacturers such as Moog.  

The 4x4 appears by the pictures has some kind of rubber on the arm, where the 2wd is purely a metal part.

• Like 1
On 9/12/2020 at 12:56 PM, wayno said:

Are one of these what your looking for?

The 2 on the right, at least from eyeballing the photo look right. Do they have part numbers on them? I have to circle back to Kelmo to verify that the boxes are the same for all years of 720 but right now I'm interested in one if you're selling. Any recollection of how tight they are?

003.JPG

• Like 1
On 9/12/2020 at 5:23 AM, KELMO said:

720 manual steering box: 48010-04W00 2WD & 4WD show to be the same.

D21 manual steering box: 48010-01G00

WD21 manual steering box: 48010-01G01

By part # they do not interchange but Nissan may have changed the part #'s for warranty purposes (?).

Does it look like the boxes are the same for all years of 720?

• Like 1

I just went out and checked both boxes, they have a slight amount of play, I can only turn the shaft a little before the arm moves, I expect they all have a slight amount of play, but how much is OK I have not a clue, one is from a 4wd, the other from a 2wd, the only difference is the shape of the pit man arm.

25 minutes ago, matrophy said:

• Like 1
On 9/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, wayno said:

I just went out and checked both boxes, they have a slight amount of play, I can only turn the shaft a little before the arm moves, I expect they all have a slight amount of play, but how much is OK I have not a clue, one is from a 4wd, the other from a 2wd, the only difference is the shape of the pit man arm.

Where are you located?

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, wayno said:

I live in Vancouver WA near the 205 bridge.

I'm in Corvallis, OR. I thought if you were close I might come check out the steering boxes. I was able to adjust a lot of the play out of mine but it's still there but it's not as scary as it was.

• Like 1

Steering wheel play is to be less than 1.4 inches.

The adjustment on the box is to set the preload. This is measured with a torque wrench at the input to the box at the steering column. On used parts the break away torque should be about 9 inch pounds. Adjust till you get that. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wayno said:

How much play/movement is in your steering gear shaft, an eighth inch at the rag joint?

I eyeballed it just now and 1/8" seems about right - maybe a little more. I'll check it at the steering wheel and compare to datzenmike's specs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Steering wheel play is to be less than 1.4 inches.

The adjustment on the box is to set the preload. This is measured with a torque wrench at the input to the box at the steering column. On used parts the break away torque should be about 9 inch pounds. Adjust till you get that. 

Is it safe to say that the 1.4" is side to side?

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...