L16 motor and trans same as 510?

Socalman

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The truck is heavier so I wouldn't run a lightened flywheel on it. OK on a lighter car. Look up why engines have a flywheels. It would be better to get lighter alloy rims and car tires, maybe an aluminum driveshaft.... better but hardly worth it. . 

Both L16s on the 521 and the 510 are the same other than emissions systems, carburetors and the alternator. The transmissions have nothing to do with what flywheel you put on. But to answer your question the 521 has a bolt on spline on the end of the transmission while the 510 just slides in.

Jffre59.jpg

510 would look like this

pB0UlID.jpg

510 F4W63 ratios

1st... 3.382

2nd.. 2.013

3rd.. 1.312

4th...1.000

510 wagon and 521 F4W63 ratios

1st... 3.657

2nd.. 2.177

3rd.. 1.419

4th...1.000

• Like 1

Thanks fro the reply,  you're saying its not a good idea but I can run a 510 flywheel and still use the 521 clutch disk because its the same? and not have to worry about running a 510 disk and figuring out if the input shaft splines will be the same? 

• Like 1

The 510 flywheel is identical to the 521 so yes everything will fit. It's fairly safe to say all Datsuns and most Nissan L, Z, CA, SD, LD, KA, VG engines (probably more)  use the same input and output splines on the transmissions.

• Like 1

Thank You, just to clarify something, the 510 weights a little over 2100 pounds from what I read, I know my 521 full of fuel is also just a little over 2100 pound, but then again, I might want to carry something one day once its done. 😁 BTW, I admire your knowledge. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2008 at 7:08 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

with me in it

well thats what its say when I leave the trash dump!!!!!!!!

Assuming Hainz weighs 200 lb this would be over 2,300 pounds. Bumpers were usually added once the trucks were unloaded from the ship.... don't know if that weight was included but those bumpers were heavy. My 710 station wagon is 1,300 Kg or 2,860 with me in it (2,660 without me) and would assume a truck would be at least that. My 620 was 2,750 on the engine sticker.

I would run it over a scale with yourself in it and 1/2 tank of gas and see... after all this is what the engine has to work with. I'm curious what a 521 ready to drive with all fluids and a driver weighs.

Just saying that if truck is much heavier than you think and you run a lightened flywheel you may have to rev and slip the clutch more to get away from a dead stop. To me this get tired real quick.

• Like 1

A lightened stock flywheel is going to be heavier than most aluminum flywheels. I would not be afraid to run a lightened steel flywheel in a truck, assuming you're not using it for truck things anymore.

If you are using it for hauling, I would find the heaviest flywheel possible and run that. I think some of the import L16s had a solid back flywheel that is much heavier than the early US market flywheels. Remember, L16s have 5 bolts and all others have 6.

• Like 1

Could be one of those times when size actually maters.

Consider the weight of the rear seat and the lift gate on the goon. I know the rear seat on my 510 goon is quite hefty, both seat back and bottom. More glass also?

I'm just spit balling here.

• Like 1