SPIDERSHACKOV

Front coil over conversion

Progress. Everything got ripped out and reinstalled correctly and we are setting tie ride height.

l3Oh7sX.jpg

Wicked camber is gone

PfZiRoF.jpg

We kept the QA shocks but went with new QA 300# shorter springs and the Belltech Hardbody dropped spindles:

JDp7oQt.jpg

AymD1Be.jpg

My swaybar was also "deleted" without my knowledge until I looked underneath. I took the opportunity to order a new Futofab front bar because it included the frame brackets. My guys are going to fab the end link setups. I'll show you/let you know how it goes.

• Like 5

FrankRizzo, the pics of a coil over system that is correct is real good. Thank you!! I don't know yet if I will go coil over, but if I do it will be so I can increase the exhaust pipe size easily (diesel). Your pics will be a real good help. I've been following this thread, hoping I would learn something. And, I have.

Don

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 9:54 PM, mrbigtanker said:

Why?

where the coilover sits, it blocks the swaybar from getting mounted up at all. The bar ends would literally be in the middle of the coilover

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:13 AM, FrankRizzo said:

My swaybar was also "deleted" without my knowledge until I looked underneath. I took the opportunity to order a new Futofab front bar because it included the frame brackets. My guys are going to fab the end link setups. I'll show you/let you know how it goes.

Please let us know how you go about it. I want to see options as well

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5t341tH said:

Please let us know how you go about it. I want to see options as well

Will do. Seems like we are all in this together!

The bar came in Saturday....

yKz4yaz.jpg

• Like 3

@Frank RizzoLooks good. If you don't mind who did the repairs?

I am still working on the cutting the shock tower and coil clearance for the right side of my truck. We our working 9-10 hour a day at work, the factory increased production for the rest of the year.

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Sway bars can be bent to fit. I learned how from Jay Morris of Ground Control Suspension, but haven't done it for years.

Thats pretty much what he said when I dropped it off this morning..."might have to heat it up a little"...

He also told me that he could have made me one from bar stock in his bender!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Thats pretty much what he said when I dropped it off this morning..."might have to heat it up a little"...

He also told me that he could have made me one from bar stock in his bender!

nice I might go to him for it. I'd like to add a sway bar back in my truck. and one for the rear too

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 8:42 PM, 5t341tH said:

nice I might go to him for it. I'd like to add a sway bar back in my truck. and one for the rear too

we are also going to have to do some modification of the swaybar to allow it to fit. we were thinking of just moving the mounting place forward on the frame to give it better clearance with the coilovers.

Im all done. He fabbed up a heim joint and the bar bolted in. What was more of a PITA was that the bolts were snapped the bolts off in the frame for the front brackets so they had to drill and retap those holes....

z3VzH0X.jpg

• Like 2

Could I see a better angle of the sway bar mount?

Great, now I have to check mine out. Mine looks like it has  more angle than yours and Franks.  My lower QA mounts closer to the ball joint than yours. My 620 is already a ball joint truck ('78)

009.jpg003.jpg

Edited by Farmer
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 5:19 AM, FrankRizzo said:

Im all done. He fabbed up a heim joint and the bar bolted in. What was more of a PITA was that the bolts were snapped the bolts off in the frame for the front brackets so they had to drill and retap those holes....

z3VzH0X.jpg

Well it looks like chuck is closing his doors because of this. He posted on Instagram he is finished with it all. Will see.

@Farmer Can you measure the angle your shock is at in relation to the frame. Yours looks closer to the 20 degrees that the shock angle is supposed to be.  Also I dont see a sway bar.  Can you not put one on due to clearance issues or just did not want to install?

9 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Well it looks like chuck is closing his doors because of this. He posted on Instagram he is finished with it all. Will see.

Not me. I have not said a word to him since I picked up the truck. I figured its better to just move on.

Its not like I would take it back to him to fix it...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SPIDERSHACKOV said:

@Farmer Can you measure the angle your shock is at in relation to the frame. Yours looks closer to the 20 degrees that the shock angle is supposed to be.  Also I dont see a sway bar.  Can you not put one on due to clearance issues or just did not want to install?

I dont see being able to get a sway bar in there unless moving thehole of some type of bracket. Heres a pic where it should mount. shock in the way..  As for measuring. got to do it old school.

001.jpg

Edited by Farmer
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Farmer said:

Great, now I have to check mine out. Mine looks like it has  more angle than yours and Franks.  My lower QA mounts closer to the ball joint than yours. My 620 is already a ball joint truck ('78)

009.jpg003.jpg

mine mounts the same way as this. the shock covers the hole where the sway bar would mount. so no more sway bar for me

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:38 PM, 5t341tH said:

Shoot. Just saw this.

I'll try and take a pic tomorrow with some tape measures in the frame...

• Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 2:38 PM, 5t341tH said:

Here is what I have from the shop when it was on the ramps:

KbBvDgM.jpg

GNu6GiU.jpg

umvqSPL.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the pictures. How does the truck drive now?

Rides much less truck like is the best way to describe it. No more crashing over bumps.

Its much smoother and with the larger sway bar it handles a touch better too....

17 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Rides much less truck like is the best way to describe it. No more crashing over bumps.

Its much smoother and with the larger sway bar it handles a touch better too....

Can you link me to that sway bar? Also you said that shop can make it too?