L20B Carb / Starting Fluid

Droski

Hello datsun peers, this past month there has been random times when my engine wont start* unless I spray starting fluid inside the carb. The engine will also stall out sometimes after getting it fired up. most of the time it starts right up and drives fine. Fuel pump is new and fuel filter looks decent. The first time this happened I took the truck to my mechanic and he said the carb had flooded. Am I looking to rebuild my carb soon ? Thanks!

Edited by Droski
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Say won't start. Wont turn over sounds like a dead battery. 

Look at the glass bull's eye on the front of the carburetor. Gas in the middle? If yes or very close then the pump was working the last time you shut it off, filter also. It has everything needed to start.

Take the top off the air filter and look. The choke flap should be partly closed if the engine is over night cold. Step on the gas pedal once and the choke flap should snap closed and id prepared to start. If it closes you shouldn't need starter spray.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Next time it don’t start

open the hood and cycled the carb and see if gas shoots in the carb.

if yes then the carb has fuel in the float bowl and the accel pump works

if no the carb does not shoot gas in the carb when you cycle then the needle valve or float has a issue cutting gas of going in the carb.

if a L motor I would check the valve lash for a valve not fully closing so no compression.

tighten the intake and carb bolts also

once running put a timing light on there and have about 10 deg BTDC..

if carb is flooding out one can but new spark plugs in and it should start immediately.then slowly foul out and plugs will be wet.

also make sure if you have a auto choke it don’t stay On like the wire fell out leaving the choke plate closed causing a over rich condition.Carb float need adjustment or has a whole in it causing it to sink causing more gas to go in the float bowl and flooding it out.

this is a simple fix and your cracker mechanic should be able to figure this out or better yet show him this

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

On 9/7/2020 at 2:14 PM, datzenmike said:

Say won't start. Wont turn over sounds like a dead battery. 

Look at the glass bull's eye on the front of the carburetor. Gas in the middle? If yes or very close then the pump was working the last time you shut it off, filter also. It has everything needed to start.

Take the top off the air filter and look. The choke flap should be partly closed if the engine is over night cold. Step on the gas pedal once and the choke flap should snap closed and id prepared to start. If it closes you shouldn't need starter spray.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

I couldnt check the sight glass since there was quite a few things obstructing view but the choke flap was partially closed and snapped closed completely after stepping on the gas pedal once. The engine has been starting fine the last couple of days .

Edited by Droski