Horn Wiring

Payco

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, am I being silly ? I have dead end wires everywhere behind my front lights and I don't know what plugs where. There used to be after market fog lights so I know two connectors would have gone there but I have five unattached wires...

Edited by Payco
43 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I would hit the horn putton and see what wires get 12volts. That's if the relay is working.

The Haynes manual or other Datsun book should have the wire colors also to tell you which wires they are.

you will also have the squirter washer near that location also

the horn inside the steering centre needs re building which is on my list. I have all the internals just need to put it together.

Still confused? I am not an expert, but here is what I did;

Remove your horn and jumper the two contact terminals to your battery + and -  (or get two long wires). If the horn works, put the solid green large wire cut off in your image to the + side you found. Unless you have a two-tone horn, the other terminal should be a ground. That's all you need.

If the horn does not work when you jumper it, switch the terminal connect and try it. If it works, then use the new + terminal as above.

If you want to double or triple check - you can try grounding the bracket (negative terminal on your battery and then jumper each contact to find out which one works, or if they both work.

Sounds more complicated than when you actually do this.

From the looks of your bracket there is a white wire connected to it with the large nut. This would indicate that it is a ground and possible would get plugged into the second terminal.

Not sure if in the UK ground wires are white - here in US it's black. Also not sure if your horns are original or aftemarket.

All the Datsun horns I have ever seen only need the one solid green wire to work with a ground.

PM me if you want to talk about any other wires. I have not found  UK wiring diagram anywhere - if you have one, please post it so someone here might be able to help more. We do have lots of electrical experts who have helped me immensely to get my VG33 conversion wired.

good luck.

9 hours ago, rosso said:

Still confused? I am not an expert, but here is what I did;

Remove your horn and jumper the two contact terminals to your battery + and -  (or get two long wires). If the horn works, put the solid green large wire cut off in your image to the + side you found. Unless you have a two-tone horn, the other terminal should be a ground. That's all you need.

If the horn does not work when you jumper it, switch the terminal connect and try it. If it works, then use the new + terminal as above.

If you want to double or triple check - you can try grounding the bracket (negative terminal on your battery and then jumper each contact to find out which one works, or if they both work.

Sounds more complicated than when you actually do this.

From the looks of your bracket there is a white wire connected to it with the large nut. This would indicate that it is a ground and possible would get plugged into the second terminal.

Not sure if in the UK ground wires are white - here in US it's black. Also not sure if your horns are original or aftemarket.

All the Datsun horns I have ever seen only need the one solid green wire to work with a ground.

PM me if you want to talk about any other wires. I have not found  UK wiring diagram anywhere - if you have one, please post it so someone here might be able to help more. We do have lots of electrical experts who have helped me immensely to get my VG33 conversion wired.

good luck.

Thanks. All above makes sense. Car has original South African horns. Planning to sort the horn inside the steering wheel Boss this weekend and then I should be all Horny.. Thanks for the lengthy assistance shared above.