Project Ol Ugly

Beowulf

On 7/2/2021 at 12:08 PM, Beowulf said:

Working on interior now.  Pulled dash to repair and paint. Didn’t want a brown dash with a blue interior. Repaired the cracks, sprayed it first with Bond Aid surface prep, then bed liner.  I like the look.  Now what todo with the ugly gauge cluster face?A3BF5F80-20F3-44DB-9305-2C5FE11F80C0.thumb.jpeg.3be362f89d2ffaa431fc5264c01d57c9.jpeg

That looks great! What a good idea. 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After installing found this wiring problem. Not sure how i missed it while dash was out.  Guessing po added lights and to heavy a fuse so wires went before fuse could blow 🤬. Got hot enough that harness plug is melted together. In my defense it was mostly wrapped in black tape, and noticed a small section while looking to see where tachometer plugs in. And never did find it yet lol

6DABCF40-6EFA-455D-8822-D34A41431077.jpeg

Edited by Beowulf
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, RustedRails said:

Great progress! Dash came out great. I'm about to go look over my harness for issues. I'm not installing yet but this got me paranoid lol.

Thanks. I was really surprised to find this, mostly covered in electrical tape and caught a glimpse looking for the tachometer plug. Hot enough to stick the white plugs together. Going to try and get them apart tomorrow.

• Like 1

If 2wd and 4 cylinder the differential is an H-190 same as the 620. Four x fours and VG30 V6 engines use either C-200 or H233 which is a larger diameter axle tube for the U bolts.

I have lowering blocks for an H-190 on my H-165 axle by slightly squashing the U bolts to fit the narrower axle. They didn't cost me anything so nothing to loose. Try to get a set for an H-190 just to be safe.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

If 2wd and 4 cylinder the differential is an H-190 same as the 620. Four x fours and VG30 V6 engines use either C-200 or H233 which is a larger diameter axle tube for the U bolts.

I have lowering blocks for an H-190 on my H-165 axle by slightly squashing the U bolts to fit the narrower axle. They didn't cost me anything so nothing to loose. Try to get a set for an H-190 just to be safe.

Thanks, I’ll look for 4cyl hardbody blocks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I’m stuck here in Florida away from my truck. Can someone give me the measurements of the bed at the inside of the top rail. Both side to side and front to back. Wanting to lay out a plan for a bed cover. 
thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

Needed a day of fun work on the truck after getting shots for my cancer, so finished the tailgate of all things.  My youngest son had an old bug he named Festus that had Herbie stripes and stuff on it and grandson loved the look of it in old pics.  So since I’m building it for him pops is going to try and do Festus 2.1 lol.  Tomorrow bed sanding and body work 

DE826F7B-D55E-4D57-B899-88C000947D3B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Little progress at a time, cab exterior about done, radiator hot tanked an cleaned. Interior panels done and wiring repaired.

going to look for carpet so I can install the interior panels before winter. Any suggestions?  And find some seats.

Anyone running 16” tires?

AB7A01B4-2257-4641-A24E-8A530F6EFE43.jpeg

44EA03B0-39E6-44C2-9DB1-05566A02F18C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Test fitting panels and finding bolt holes with sheared off bolts. Drill on the next warm day we have. Looking pretty good.

I have like 4 grills and one is different as the vertical bars are further apart and had to change headlight buckets to make it fit. Any one know what year that would have been? 

11C939DB-B207-4D85-9A02-C86527478151.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RustedRails said:

Coming together nicely @Beowulf! Love the tailgate! Every time I see a Gulf logo it reminds me of my childhood haha.

Not sure on the grill, Are they all 4 the later style (78-79)?

3 are the same and matched the headlights on the truck. Trying the different one,  the one the grandson likes I had to dig through all the parts that came with the truck to find different headlight mounts. They’re further apart than the others. And thanks for the positive comment, slowly but surly.  

Edited by Beowulf
Additional comments
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Beowulf said:

3 are the same and matched the headlights on the truck. Trying the different one,  the one the grandson likes I had to dig through all the parts that came with the truck to find different headlight mounts. They’re further apart than the others. And thanks for the positive comment, slowly but surly.  

Surly ?  Cheer up.