Gecko Racing coilovers

afracer

I have to say, I like them. I just got them in the mail today for my B310 wagon. The design and quality is decent, honestly the only complaint I have is the rear springs are about 2.5 inches too short for my taste. At max high the wheels are way up inside the wells, too low for me. But it has tons of adjustability in the shocks to go way higher, just need longer springs which I'll see what I can find. 

20200828_180231.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So if you install this kit as advertised, at max height on the adjustments, the car will sit about 2.5 inches lower overall.  The directions called to chop the front strut tubes 40mm above where the tube meets the spindle, but again, if you do this the car will be 2.5" lowered when maxing out the height adjustment. So you have to cut higher up on the original strut tube.

The stock assembled uncompressed B310 strut is 25.5 inches from the flat bottom of the knuckle to where the top hat touches the body of the car. This made me cut the Z struts about 6 1/8" from the flat bottom of the knuckle to give 40mm of tube for the new sleeve of the coilover to press on and weld to while matching the coilovers 25.5" overall length of the strut at max height adjustment. These coilovers can drop over 4 inches. So I can go from stock height to 4" lowered...which I think is more than enough.

To solve the rear to go to stock height have to buy another pair of springs, they used 3" ID x 8" springs. All that has to be done to fix this is to buy a pair of 3" ID x 10" long coilover springs in your choice of spring rate (prob 175 lbs/in) and adjust the shock body longer to preload the springs...should get you pretty damn close if you don't want to be slammed.

20200830_143146.jpg

Edited by afracer

The bottom half of the coilover with the spindle is now currently baking so it can be powder coated black (was green) after all the cutting and welding. Oh I forgot to mention, the fitment on the strut tube is super tight. Even after removing all the paint I had to use my hydraulic press to push the weld on sleeve down 40mm onto the strut tube, so keep that in mind if you go with these coilovers!

• 2 weeks later...

These are the only coilovers in the US made for the B310 that I would recommend. All the others are not base height adjustable. I've seen similar ones in Australia and Japan but they're usually much more expensive.  Mine took about 2 weeks to get to me and they'll ask you if you have 46mm or 51mm strut tubes so I think they offer both! This would be wonderful news for 1200 owners!

• Like 1

This is interesting. I have 2 1200's. I also have a 79 210 front suspension set up laying around.

Now, if I could just find some money, time, and a little more smarts.

One of them is already lowed 2" all around. The other has stock suspension and 14" wheels. I have been told it looks like a Hot Wheels car.

I may be buying another set of these in the future for my son's 1200 in 46mm size the more I think about it. I've already installed a brake upgrade to the stock 1200 struts on it so wasn't going to go with the 280zx strut swap. Only issue is the top hats I think are different for a 1200 from a B310 but thats easily solved.

• 3 months later...

I finally had time to finish up welding the other one and powder coated everything. Probably going to be a bit before I get to install them. Need a right 280zx brake caliper which I cannot find anywhere and the brake hoses and pads.

41 minutes ago, afracer said:

I finally had time to finish up welding the other one and powder coated everything. Probably going to be a bit before I get to install them. Need a right 280zx brake caliper which I cannot find anywhere and the brake hoses and pads.

Weird that the left is available but right so damn hard to find, this took a decent amount of searching to find a place with it in stock.

This was the only place I could find with it in stock.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-caliper-assy-rh~41001-p9190.html

Raybestos FRC3015

Part interchange number:

https://www.yoyopart.com/oem/12391874/raybestos-frc3015.html

https://www.yoyopart.com/oem/11937526/nissan-41001p9190re.html

Confirming interchange:

https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan__280ZX/Remanufactured-Caliper-F--Right--Front/89644019/41001-P9190RE.html

Edited by Dguy210

Many times those dealer sites will come back a week after ordering telling you it is NLA, but we'll see I guess. If it does go thru, hopefully it comes with the mounting bracket! Thanks for the heads up. 

Edited by afracer
  • 3 weeks later...