411 Thermostat help!!

Bearcrawl

So the 411 has been running like garbage when it's cold.  Much better when it heats up but it was taking forever to heat up. Trying to check of some simple stuff I decided to check out the thermostat and see if it was somehow stuck open.  When i opened up the tower where I expected it to be there was nothing there.  Am I missing something... or is something missing?

50279751522_bb79c5a3de_c.jpg

Assuming theres supposed to be a thermostat in there, the spring would go down right?  Was expecting to be able to reference the therm that I was expecting to see.  Thermostat I have seems to fit fine but I will need to make a gasket.  

50278907493_0cef5689da_c.jpg

Thanks in advance

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My '74 710 was really slow slow warm. This is the original thermostat...

BzXLKjU.jpg

Use the thermostat cover for a template and grab an old cereal box, I prefer Cheerios but All Bran is ok too. Trace it out

Get a round hole punch from a dollah store. And a pair of good scissors.

QPZZvcH.jpg

Nibble a hole large enough to get the scissors in...

Wgwth2w.jpg

You can make anything. This is the oil pump to timing cover gasket...

uxuSywP.jpg

My thermostat, oil pump and water pump all have cereal box gaskets.

Yes it should have a 180F thermostat and spring down so the hot water can get to it. I think it should also have a jiggle valve on the thermostat but you'll have to check. If you don't have a coolant by pass the jiggle valve will do about the same thing.  It allows a small flow of coolant through so the thermostat can sample the temperature. Otherwise the water around the thermostat is stagnant and remains cold. 

Jiggle-valve.jpg

jeu9THo.jpg

I also have a sheet (now) of gasket that I used for my R-1 carbs. They seal with that rubber ring but I wasn't taking chances. The felpro is thinner. Cereal box was for when no time to go into town to get something else and I refuse to be held up by that..

• 1 year later...

411 maintenance equals patience and imagination.  I have engine parts from Buick 455 cu V8 [Thermostat by pass hoses repurposed], KIA Sephia [thermostat housing] and Ford Police Interceptor Cop car [Heater hoses, they are Silicon].  Also various replacement hose assemblies that I cannibalise to fit the heater and engine preheat hoses that did not last 65 years.  You CAN make them last !