Steering gear box 520

Ron G

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been building cars for almost 40 years and every gearbox that I messed with has always been tighten down towards the nut, but I could be wrong, knowing these boxes were another years It might be easier to fine now, thank you for the information

• Like 1

The 520 gearbox on my 68 is really different than the 521 one I have. The 521one looks more similar to the 620. 

I put a 620 gearbox + 620 steering column on my 520....I have the same problem ! Will try to adjust the screw going down and see. If not will try my other gearboxes to find the best one before taking the road ! Steering goes 90 degrees before wheel moves...kinda scary lol

Edited by wakemaniac
  • Like 1
On 8/27/2020 at 5:12 AM, wakemaniac said:

The 520 gearbox on my 68 is really different than the 521 one I have. The 521one looks more similar to the 620. 

I put a 620 gearbox + 620 steering column on my 520....I have the same problem ! Will try to adjust the screw going down and see. If not will try my other gearboxes to find the best one before taking the road ! Steering goes 90 degrees before wheel moves...kinda scary lol

That could be other wear than the box. How much does the steering wheel turn before the pitman arm moves?

• Like 1

Then the rest is accumulated wear from all six the ball joints, the idler arm and possibly the wheel bearing pre load hasn't been set properly. Biggest offender is usually the idler arm.

If all six ball joints are worn and loose say, only .0625" each which adds up to .375" about 1/3 of an inch. The steering box ratio is about 20 to one turn of the steering wheel so 0.375 X 20 = 7.5" of play at the wheel. Then there's the idler arm which may have worn bushings and the wheel bearings.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

That could be other wear than the box. How much does the steering wheel turn before the pitman arm moves?

0 ! All new ball joints.

I opened the cover of steering box and steered while truck was jacked up . There is a loose between the column gear and the pitman arm gear....I'll recheck tonight maybe i'm off one tooth !! If not...i'll swap gearboxes and see if better ! Thanks !

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Didn't you say that you could turn the steering wheel 900 with no wheel movement???

Oups sorry I wasnt  clear...yes the steering wheel turns almort 90 degrees but the pitman arm moves 0...gears must be worn out in box...I have 2 extra ones that I will try out and see !

Thanks !!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, datzenmike said:

Steering wheel movement before pitman arm moves is either out of adjustment or box worn out.

Movement after pitman arm begins to move but before wheels begin moving are everything else.

Thank you Mike, 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...