Socalman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Socalman said:

Hello again, I am trying to find out if there was a 5 speed made for the 521? Or one that will work with the least modifications/fabrication? Thank you 

No factory 5spds....

Easiest option is any 71b 5spd....

Requires transmission mount and shortening of driveshaft....

If you can find a stumpy 5spd from the mid 80s 720 that's needs a bellhousing swapped, and transmission mount but does not need the shortened driveshaft....

I believe redeye's transmission bracket actually work for this application....

R-2-4

1-3-5.... dogleg shift pattern

There was no truck 5 speed until '77 on the 620. The car FS5W63A 'dogleg' 5 spd. from a '77-'79 200sx or the option on the '78-'79 A10 (HL510) is the correct length and needs no drive shaft shortening. Pretty rare to find one and although strong enough for an L20B not nearly as strong as the FS5W71B which is a six cylinder transmission.

The FS5W71B is much more common to fine and has regular H pattern shift.

• Like 1

The FS5W71B was used on at least 5 different engine types, SD, LD, CA, Z and L series. To do this, the front cases are different to adapt them for use on the different engine types. The shorty only came on the 720 with a Z series engine so you would have to find an L series 4 or 5 speed and swap the front case onto it to make it compatible with your L series engine. That's a lot of looking out and probably easier to just find an L series 5 speed and shorten the drive shaft and be done with it.

You will need to modify the 521 transmission mount. Just section and weld back up.

Ym1Q6Ut.jpg

wayno (on here) may have the amount to cut out, or suspend the transmission in place and measure it.

Your 521 front driveshaft spline actually bolts to the mainshaft on the 4 speed. You can use it but there will be a hole in the end that needs to be plugged to hold the oil in. Some sealer and a 40mm core plug will work.

Four speed

Jffre59.jpg

Plugged for use on 5 spd.

huWLwUb.jpg

Use your clutch arm or the 5 speed but you have to use the 521's release bearing collar or housing that holds the release bearing. If one comes with the 5 speed don't use it. This thing...

zIWK7Hw.jpg... but replace your old bearing with a new one.

Your old speedometer pinion gear was likely a WHITE 19 tooth (BETTER CHECK) and it won't fit the 5 speed. So look for a 19 tooth 71B pinion gear and your speedometer will remain unaffected.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-Speedometer-Pinion-Gear-Assembly-19-Teeth-NOS-RARE-/272339553730

I have replaced the same 4 speed with a long 5 speed in my car and the original speedometer cable will reach farther back and on the other side if you pull all of it up into the engine compartment and then push down behind the head and diagonally over the top of the transmission.

1 hour ago, Socalman said:

That is the exact 5 speed I now have in my 710. It's from an '85 CA18ETurbo 200sx. I did have to put an L series front case on it to convert it for L series use. You would have to do the same.

Long 31.5" the 71B only came in that and the 26" 'shorty'. The 71B in the S12 is for a CA18ET a turbo engine and is a wide ratio so faster reeving in 1st.  I also have 4.11 differential so it gets going fast, fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

That is the exact 5 speed I now have in my 710. It's from an '85 CA18ETurbo 200sx. I did have to put an L series front case on it to convert it for L series use. You would have to do the same.

So do I take the one off my 4 speed And swap it or do I have to find a 5 speed L front case?

18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Long 31.5" the 71B only came in that and the 26" 'shorty'. The 71B in the S12 is for a CA18ET a turbo engine and is a wide ratio so faster reeving in 1st.  I also have 4.11 differential so it gets going fast, fast.

Do they even sell gear sets for the 521? Or did you do a rear end swap to an available gear set rear end?

If you want a shorty 5spd you need to find a transmission from a 1985/86 Nissan 720 with a regular cab/short box truck, they are the only ones that have them.

Too have it bolt to your engine you will need to find a 71b 4spd or 5spd front case from a late 620, 1980 720, or a Zcar transmission from the same era with an L block in it, it is not that hard to switch the cases, I have done it in wrecking yards, you need the case and front cover with clip and shim, I wrote a how too article on how to do it, here is a link to the article.

https://ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Socalman said:

So do I take the one off my 4 speed And swap it or do I have to find a 5 speed L front case?

They are different transmissions so no..

The stock 521 4spd is a 63 series...

If you need to swap the bellhousing it has to be for a 71b transmission,  but it can be either from a 4 or 5spd..... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, datzenmike said:

Ym1Q6Ut.jpg

This trans mount, not the piece that you cut, but the piece that bolts to trans, anybody know where I can get one? cant find it. 

Datsun%20Nissan%20Trans%20Mount%20Manual%20and%20Automatic.jpgthis is all that comes up when searching. Thanks