1971 Datsun 521

Zonargx

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the matchbox dizzy, you need a dedicated ground to the body of it. I'm sure any EI dizzy will need one.  While you're running new ground wires, make sure you run one from the body of the dizzy to the block or a known good ground.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I messed up my maf now waiting on a new to arrive on Wednesday.

what’s weird is that when I unplug the maf off the the engine died I plugged it back on did the same thing and it died again. What could be the reason for that.

normally cars stay on and run like crap or better but don’t die

Edited by Zonargx
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Zonargx said:

Well I messed up my maf now waiting on a new to arrive on Wednesday.

what’s weird is that when I unplug the maf off the the engine died I plugged it back on did the same thing and it died again. What could be the reason for that.

normally cars stay on and run like crap or better but don’t die

There's almost never an easy reason.  EFI engines use six or seven sensors working together to make the engine run. Unplugging one may kill the engine while unplugging another may just put it in limp mode. The engineers decided which ones would let you drive without to make it back home.

• Like 2

I’m gonna wait until Thursday for my maf to get here then I’ll see if that made any difference. I’ll talk to ice house right now I’m gonna clean/repair my wiring harness if any repair are needed and loom it and make it nice 

• Like 1

So today I was cleaning up my wiring better and found out two needed wires are cut. One goes to the tps and the other one goes to the plug that connects to the intake manifold plug. I’m gonna be soldering them up tomorrow and then wrapping up the harness. I’ll consider a new harness if this fix doesn’t actually fix anything and I’ll also talk to ice if it doesn’t help fixing this two wires.

disregard one of those two wires if for full open throttle only for auto trans not manual. The other is actually for the iacv solenoid blue/white

Edited by Zonargx
  • Like 2

I’m happy to say I fixed my problem. New maf came in installed it got the iacv solenoid wire solder up and ran wires to hook up an obd2  2 plug. The truck runs perfect now pulls hard and no more pooping from the exhaust. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out and gave me advice on the build. Next step turbo haha later down the road not at the moment.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

anyone know who owns a green 521 in gardena. i just so happen to be with the wife going somewhere and went down a street and there it was a green 521 dark tinted windows all around with front black brembo calipers and slotted disk brakes cant remember the wheels but they where bronze color.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my front windshield seal. I order it from eBay off a seller in Bangkok. I order it on Monday and it got here today Friday. They seal came carefully looped (not bent) like some stuff you other online. I’m now debating if I should go ahead and do it the install my self or just take it to a shop. I payed $86 I’m hoping it last a long time since I don’t have a garage and the sun will be punishing me for that.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So I have run into a problem with my truck recently and it’s driving me mad. So about two weeks ago my truck would die after sitting for two days aka days off work so I would have to jump start to turn it on before work. The battery is actually new the alternator is used came with the engine. So last weeks I decided to just go ahead and buy a new alternator since I tried testing for drains and it seem the alternator kept draining my battery. Now I got a new alternator in and now the battery drain even faster than before. The test I did was to put a test light in sequence with negative terminal post and ground cable 

Edited by Zonargx

When I would disconnect the sense wire (yellow) from the looped white wired the test light would turn off that was the test I did . With the new alternator it does the same. I have been disconnecting the battery once I get to work and plugging it back on to go home only ways to keep the battery from draining. I just want it not to drain I hate having to jump it or open the hood and plugging the post haha extra work 

Edited by Zonargx

I will assume you have stock alternator and External volt reg

so did you pull the fuses to see which circut? once the test light went out? Ignition?

then I would pull the positive off the alternator and see if light goes out with that. means a shorted bridge rectifier diode.

or pull the external volt reg connector.. A car not shutting off when key is off has been bad ext volt regs.

any added stuff added where it can get power????? disconnect them.  Measning you hooked something the cig lighter circut that has power all the time?????

disregard this if you dont have a IR alternator in there

"if you have the late 71 did it have a electric choke? the relay for this needs to be disconnected like in the 510s if you put a INternal Volt reg alternator in there"

Ok so I I think I have narrowed it down to a ground cable shorting out with something.30286F82-924B-459C-BB56-A98416BEC575.thumb.jpeg.0dd7128ed7dcbe199200b0ae4d88c10e.jpeg30AFCA83-EF7F-4EF4-AAEC-4A7E41102677.thumb.jpeg.bbfd6b32b152c1163336e0c745e55e8b.jpeg83481683-D772-4359-B7C1-F93925604A66.thumb.jpeg.8fb90b557369e14c7f4bb5ddac7c3ea3.jpeg

so first picture is me just testing that there’s power on the positive terminal.

second I checked the connections from what used to be the external regulator plug and found the black wired has power to it as well (doesn’t seem right… could be the problem).

third is just a close up on that wire

Sorry @banzai510(hainz) I forgot to mention it’s a ka swap engine in the 521. I was good until the few weeks ago I notice two wires in bad shape so I just electrical taped them for the mean time. I will be fixing those probably tomorrow or my next days off. My wires are really messy i have been meaning to clean them up insulting them so they don’t look like crap

Edited by Zonargx

Sorry I’m busy at work now I forgot to mention I had the white wire pulled out when I was testing the wires and ended up looping it to the wrong cable aka the black one and it did start to melt and smoke when I plugged the battery back and as soon as I notice unplugged it but the wire was damaged. I then notice I had fucked up by putting the white with black. Today I found out that black wire has power on it looking at the diagram it should be a ground so that’s probably whats draining the battery

Edited by Zonargx

your on ytour top photo you show the test light across the batter which is supposed to light.

I assume you pull the meg and put the test lamp in series to ck if its draning(light comes on)

about 37secs in to vid

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&ei=UTF-8&p=battery+drain#id=1&vid=418de20d5f3335af5d80b045562c43ac&action=click

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1