Fuel line going to box/tank under bed wheel well

Socalman

Hello, let me start by saying how helpful this site has been with so much knowledge. Now, what does this box/tank under left rear bed wheel well used for? It has a vapor line from filler neck going to it and that’s all I can see. Thank you 

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vapor lock is an extreme temperature event where gas boils in the carburetor or lines ands is difficult to idle or start. No it has no relation to vapor lock.

It collects gas vapors that then push forward into the engine crankcase for storage, when the engine is off OR are drawn into the intake through the PCV valve when running. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Socalman said:

Sweet, I am going to get rid off it and weld access panel. Thanks guys!

Do you still have the wheel well "extension"/cover?  I bet you could sell it if you don't want it.  Makes a good compartment to put something else, like a small remote battery.

• Like 2

Yes, that’s what I meant by access panel, lol, I didn’t know the technical term. Half the bolts broke off when removing, so I figured I would weld it back on using the same holes where bolts were, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Why weld it on?  Then it really serves no purpose.  Negative purpose at that point...

You’re right, I had to actually go look at what you meant, I thought it needed to be on there to complete the wheel well, but once the vapor tank is gone, it’s an actual wheel well that matches right side, lol. I would have noticed if I had gotten that far today, but thanks for the heads up. Lol. Sorry I’m new to this truck, only had it a couple of weeks and just started working on her last few days.

• Like 1

Here's a theory question. When deleting the EVAP, do you guys swap fuel caps to a vented style cap? If not, do you ever have problems with a gurgling tank? I have heard of ( and experienced myself) blowback when removing a fuel cap from systems with inadequate venting. If any of you have this problem, a vented cap could fix it.

• Like 1