headlight switch hell

Madkaw

22 hours ago, CicliDevotion said:

Running lights and tail lights work.  Turn signals work.  Wipers work.

just no headlights whatsoever and now the turn signals won’t return.

You have no headlights at all or just not working properly ? Mine has one headlight that is dim in left side , and it’s all about the switch contacts . 
You must not have reassembled the switch properly and the return is not catching I guess. My truck is at the paint shop so I can’t even look at it 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I bought a Dapper lighting relay kit for 4 headlight vehicle DLRH4 .

So low beams work as normal . High beams lights up all 4 - which isn’t normal ?

Highbeam indicator doesn’t show high beam - but that light might be out anyways 

Nice kit and got it all tucked away .

793FA1B9-A5B2-41D7-A396-AD99C2AC68C6.jpeg

B03E189E-B21A-4191-8C3E-4E768C72C642.jpeg

0EAFCCC5-A34C-4E9F-97C0-AE913AA3196F.jpeg

45348665-1EFF-49DA-B722-0E7AB5B45591.jpeg

On 8/17/2020 at 11:21 AM, wayno said:

I just looked at my Nissan 1984 service manual, in the trouble shooting section it said dim light on one side means burnt fuse.

Also it mentioned if voltage was below 12.8 to check the charging system for proper operation, it also mentioned dim lights could be a burnt fusible link, but I would assume both lights would be dim if either of these were the issue.

There are two filaments in the outside lamps, one each for high and low beams. When high beams are selected, the low beam is disconnected and the high beam along with the two inner high beam lamps are turned on.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There are two filaments in the outside lamps, one each for high and low beams. When high beams are selected, the low beam is disconnected and the high beam along with the two inner high beam lamps are turned on.

I don't see any fusible links in them photos.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:21 AM, wayno said:

I just looked at my Nissan 1984 service manual, in the trouble shooting section it said dim light on one side means burnt fuse.

Also it mentioned if voltage was below 12.8 to check the charging system for proper operation, it also mentioned dim lights could be a burnt fusible link, but I would assume both lights would be dim if either of these were the issue.

Should be 2 green and 0ne black fusible links. One of the green ones is solely for the headlights.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Okay - I thought I read that selection high beams only turns in the inner lights .

So these aren’t working properly because I don’t think I’m getting highbeam filament when selecting high- but I will check that .  I think the low is just staying on . I hate Nissans wiring set up , it’s such a PITA to figure out or change . 
At least it fixed my weak switch 

• Like 1

My light switch for my running lights quit over the weekend, I see the problems that all of you are having. I didn't want to remove the steering wheel and I know the switch assembly is hard to come by as this is one of a few trucks left in this area.

I decided that putting a rocker switch in parallel with the running lights wires at the switch on the column at the connector that plugs into the switch assembly.

The Red/Blue wire is the 12v wire coming in and the Red/Yellow to the running lights circuit ( also includes the dash lights ).

Left the existing wires connected and placed the new wires into the connector plugs as to not damage the connector or wires (used a terminal puller) should I be lucky enough to find a good switch housing .

I know this isn't headlights, but all of everyone's advice on this got me though my slight dilemma (my buddy got a ticket for no tail lights at night)

• 3 years later...

one the best things that will help you is a ultra sonic cleaner it will the everything contacts, connectors and the cap on the circuit. I know because I had the same problem on my 86 720. It will help bring it back and save you money hope it helps.