DARIN 510

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DARIN 510 said:

Anyone seen these guys yet? Stuff looks like very good quality. They scan original panels then stamp them. I know you guys need these lol. 
https://kfvintagejdm.com/

Seen it. Seems a bit pricey, but it does appear to be quality. Hope they start making other panels too!

• Like 2

If they do a 3d scan, then with the digital data they can cut dies.  Generally stamping dies have to be multi-stage to get all the dimensions correct, since you can't do it in one shot without tearing metal.

I bet they don't make the dies out of expensive tool steel for small quantity runs. 

• Like 1

I bumped into Gerson of KlassicFab online about 2 years ago............super nice guy!  We started talking regularly & I like to think that I helped him decide what to make & what NOT to bother with.  He is also doing Z car, 620 pick up, some earlier 520/521 & then early Celica & Corolla, among other classic Japanese cars!  KlassicFab has been doing air cooled VW for 25++ years & is often referred to as the best VW panel maker in the world.  Had a buddy here today out of Chicago, said he used the KlassicFab VW panels & that they fit great............he had to buy a couple panels from other sources & said nowhere near the quality as KlassicFab.  THAT was great to hear!  He has purchased multiple Datsun parts cars, they dissect them & digitally scan the parts.  Scanning (NEW) NOS parts is by far the best scenario, and he has been buying as much NOS as he can.  I sent him a very straight 68-69 510 lower front valence, so that one will be done, along with the 70-73 valence.  As Hainz said, from the scanned digital model, they then build a mould for stamping.  It is a VERY expensive endeavor, but he already has all the experience he needs!  He owns a metal stamping plant in Bogota Columbia, which is where he has been manufacturing his VW parts for years & where all the Datsun parts will be made.

He is trying to get the parts listed on his website, but that in itself takes time & energy.  He is advertising the parts on the Facebook pages, on Instagram & he HAS posted here on Ratsun & the510realm.  He is working feverishly, so be patient..........it WILL be worth the wait!!  This is a big step ahead for the Datsun marketplace!

Our metal guy is doing full floor pans on a 240Z for us right now & LOVES the KlassicFab's panels!  He has already told us that the LABOR COST will be noticeably LESS, because he doesn't have to modify the bejesus out of them, like the Tabco panels, to get them to fit, AND they will look correct!  We have had to use the Tabco panels for years, and they simply SUCK!  He has sent me some samples of his 510 pieces to me & they look great.  We needed the lower front fender patches for the 240Z, already had the Tabco crap.  I called him to see if he had them yet, unfortunately he did not, they are "on the drawing board", but not ready yet.  BUT he asked me how soon I needed them.............I said yesterday!  He asked if we could wait 10-14 days, I said yes..........we ordered two pair, had them in 14 days as promised!  He had his guys in Columbia HAND MAKE THEM..............they look fantastic, & look immensely better than the Tabco crap!!  Our metal guy will have those done next week.

TJ

Ignite Performance

Arvada CO

Never used them but you can make any floor pan fit right if you measure everything before you cut. 😜 Honestly the prices aren’t bad at all.  The floor board for my 993 was close to 2k and the one in the Third gen RX7 was 1500 and that was for one side only.   

P.S.  If they are reading this can you make some trunk and spare tire well pans?  After stripping down more on my dime I discovered it had been rear ended before and all they did was hide the damage not fix it.  I could straighten some and duplicate other parts but who wants to spend all that time if you don’t have to.  And yeah I’m one of those guys that just can’t bring myself to  slap in some flat sheet metal.  It’s got to look original. 

Edited by G8KeaPoR

An update. I just bought all the panels they offer for the 510.  I called and spoke to them even got to talk to Gerson as well.  Real great person who has been making body panels for years.  Anyway I will update with some pics etc when they come in.

• Like 1
On 8/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, G8KeaPoR said:

An update. I just bought all the panels they offer for the 510.  I called and spoke to them even got to talk to Gerson as well.  Real great person who has been making body panels for years.  Anyway I will update with some pics etc when they come in.

You will not regret it!!

On 8/13/2020 at 2:55 AM, G8KeaPoR said:

Never used them but you can make any floor pan fit right if you measure everything before you cut. 😜 Honestly the prices aren’t bad at all.  The floor board for my 993 was close to 2k and the one in the Third gen RX7 was 1500 and that was for one side only.   

P.S.  If they are reading this can you make some trunk and spare tire well pans?  After stripping down more on my dime I discovered it had been rear ended before and all they did was hide the damage not fix it.  I could straighten some and duplicate other parts but who wants to spend all that time if you don’t have to.  And yeah I’m one of those guys that just can’t bring myself to  slap in some flat sheet metal.  It’s got to look original. 

I will agree that with time & labor you can make anything fit...............like the CRAP Tabco floor pans for the Z cars.  If you were able to lay the Tabco pan next to the KlassicFab pan, you would be blown away by the differences!  Yes, we have used the Tabco pans for years, cuz that was what was readily available.  Again, our body guy is just now fitting the KlassicFab pans & he loves them!  Not only less labor time $$, but the end result is excellent, with all of the details KlassicFab has put into their pans!

On 8/13/2020 at 8:43 PM, G8KeaPoR said:

Love to hear how they are. They do look good.

Edited by edekalil
On 8/13/2020 at 9:43 PM, G8KeaPoR said:

Did they give you a quantity discount?

On 8/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, 420n620 said:

someone posted this on ratsun a while back on Datsun panel sections.

https://www.c2cfabrication.com/collections/all/datsun

Interesting.  These guys are near me, but I have never heard of them before.  My wife is actually working in Livonia today.

So I can’t quote you all here but let’s get down to business. The panels came in and honestly I am impressed.  These truly are a steal at the price too as any cash you save with sheet metal patches will be eaten up in time and headache as well as potentially having to redo the job. I have gotten panels from the factory for other vehicles that didn’t look this good.  When I ordered I told them I wanted everything thing and they took very good care of me.  I even suggested a spare tire well since my car while rust free was bottomed out and I’d rather get new stamped panels than fix the dents myself. Fingers crossed that’s in the works. The panels appear to be accurate and measured out perfectly. The side rockers even had the holes with threaded blocks for the seat belts.   I couldn’t have asked for more. I’ve attached pics of both sides of the panels. I will note that there is a ding on one of the corners but that was thanks to fedex but nothing that who whacks with a hammer and a dolly can straiten out. 

to give a backdrop on the company they have been making panels for VW busses for quite some time and from what I could see they were highly rated on the samba with is the forum for all things vw air cooled.  Give em a shot I think you will be happy. 

93427D13-A95B-4D31-B56B-D91D941EBED3.jpeg

A1F6298D-6FE1-41E2-ABFD-C45F5A16F412.jpeg

1D4D3E42-2D81-4DD8-B421-E6F6B5135E3C.jpeg