Sharp thing in Cylinder 1?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Demonic goat horns from the devil?

Try knocking it off and see if it's magnetic.

I pulled it out. Sharp little shard. Then I dropped it as I was getting a magnet. I swept around for it and didn't pull it up so either it wasn't or I just didn't find it. So that's going to remain a mystery for now. Just my luck. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Negative Ghostrider said:

Yup. There's a little pit in the top. So it must have been a rogue chunk of something in the cylinder. 

Has to have found it's way through the carburetor. Lightly sand away any sharp edges, it will fill with carbon and be ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, cool. 

Supplemental question. I notice the outer edges of the cylinder ring on the head are nice and smooth on the plug side (bottom of image) but kind of jagged on the header side (by my finger). Is this anything to be concerned about?

I ran a straight edge along the surface and there is no warping or anything. There are some low spots around some of the coolant and stud holes as indicated by the dark spots which should be residual gasket. 

dEni1S.jpg

• Like 1

Ok. Good to know about the edges. Thanks.

With the damage in the cylinder and piston, I can't quite grind them perfectly flat. I am guessing a smooth small indent is better than anything still sticking up, even if it's no longer sharp, yes? The damage left kind of volcano shaped pits on both surfaces. 

Edited by Negative Ghostrider