Seat Belts

Payco

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Import vehicles were not required to have shoulder belts until the 1968 model year.  During the transition many vehicles were shipped with only lap belts but the structure had inserts for shoulder belts.  Don't understand why your 1971 doesn't have shoulder belts unless trucks had a later compliance date than cars.

• Like 1

I'm sure you have the mounting point.

large.5ab172977e501_03162018cooperseatbe

Just attop the b-pillar on a 2dr/coupe, a little farther back on a 4dr/wagon (actually - likely the same spot relative to the roof - the b-piller is just farther forward)

large.06142020_slowpoke_(1).JPG.7e7f0ffd

Happy to take some measurements for you if you need.

As for kits - look at

https://www.retrobelt.com/

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/

etc...

• Like 1

Here is the anchor on my coupe - about 2" back from the B pillar.  You can feel it with your finger under the headliner.

large.08012020_coupe_seatbelt_anchor_(1)

large.08012020_coupe_seatbelt_anchor_(2)

And here is the 4dr location - about 3 1/2" back from the B pillar.  Notice how much wider the B-pillar is in the 4dr!

large.08012020_4dr_seatbelt_anchor.JPG.c

• Like 2
12 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

Import vehicles were not required to have shoulder belts until the 1968 model year.  During the transition many vehicles were shipped with only lap belts but the structure had inserts for shoulder belts.  Don't understand why your 1971 doesn't have shoulder belts unless trucks had a later compliance date than cars.

Lap belts became standard equipment in the driver's and some other seating positions of most automobiles in the U.S. after 1964, when a number of states passed laws requiring their installation.8 Under the mandate of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, the then National Traffic Safety Agency issued a standard in early 1967 requiring lap belts and shoulder harnesses in the front outboard seating positions, and lap belts in other seating positions, of all but a few excepted automobiles manufactured for sale in the U.S., effective January 1, 1968.8

Seems imports weren't required yet?  521 didn't get shoulder harnesses until 72 model year

Perfect. Thanks. One other question.. the floor mounting points for the lap belts are way back behind the centre console which makes we wonder how practical  fitting the housing for the clip will be as it would appear rather than be beside the seat it will have to stretch much further back...thanks for taking the time to add photos sand measurements.

I use the "euro" seatbelt from retrobelt

https://www.retrobelt.com/collections/shoulder-belts/products/european-style-shoulder-belt-with-hardware-included

The inside receiver is mounted on a stiff cable extension that puts it right where you would expect it to be.

I mount the retractor real and the other anchor on the same bolt (stock location) on the inside of the rocker/sill.

379-BLK_05733cf4-8b87-44ee-aa58-20361a9d

carterb offered up great info!  FYI the captive nut should be on your car, under the headliner, but FYI that captive nut should be in the same place on the upper roof rail, whether 2dr or 4dr...........the B pillars were simply located differently.  What I don't like about the factory captive nut, is how HIGH UP it mounts the buckle where the belt passes through.  It kinda makes the belt ride up your neck!  We ditched that idea & welded captive nuts about 4 inches down the B pillar, which lowered the buckle mounting point, which in turn lowered the belt, which positioned the belt in a much more comfortable position.  Just like locating the upper captive nut WITHOUT cutting the headliner yet (as carterb suggested), you can run your finger down the CENTER of the B pillar until you feel a hole about 4 inches down.  We peeled the B pillar vinyl away (very carefully if in good condition!) & the thin foam padding, enlarged the hole to suit a FLANGED NUT & welded it in place.  We inserted the flanged nut in backwards, which stopped the nut from falling into the B pillar & dropping down & welded it.  If you are concerned about the strength of that area of the B pillar, you can weld the nut to a small piece of metal plate, then weld the metal plate to the B pillar.  Either way, replace the foam padding & vinyl and away you go!

We also used a similar aftermarket 3 pt retractable belt set, like carterb posted.  I KNOW you can find them in the UK at Moss Motors, as I was in the British parts industry here in the States for years & they offered a few different sets for the MG's & TR's...........sorry, can't remember part #'s etc, but the key is you will mount the retractor unit down on the inner rocker/sill panel, like the pic carterb posted, like our USA spec 72-73 510's, up to the belt buckle on the B pillar, then down to the second mounting point next to the seat, and the actual belt pulls UP, not horizontally like some!  Of course, the inner belt buckle assembly mounts to the trans tunnel.  Hope that helps!

TJ

• Like 2

👍

3 hours ago, Payco said:

Thanks TJ. great info and advice I will consider and act on.  Appreciate the lengths you have gone to in providing the info.

Martin

Great thread, with some great information here.

I too will be looking at 3 point belts as I go through my rebuild and will be using the advice offered here to Martin.

Martin, let me know if you buy the belts recommended or if you find a UK supplier of similar. I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Cheers,

JK

On 8/8/2020 at 3:54 PM, 510_dreamin said:

How are the seatbelt plant 3 point belts?

I am re-reading your question now and getting a different meaning.

When I first read it, I thought you were asking how can they call their belts "3 point" - assuming maybe you saw a pic of just a lap belt.

I think what you are asking is "how are they?" as in quality and such.

I have not used the seabelt planet belts but found out about them on the bluebird e-mail list.  One of the members installed these:

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30499406-1968-1973-datsun-510-driver-passenger-seat-belt-kit.html

Note that it is specifically for the 510 and has a drop for the shoulder.  This would be an amazing!  The belts I use from retrobelt do not have a drop and chaff my neck while driving.  I bet the drop would help allot!

--carter

6 hours ago, carterb said:

I am re-reading your question now and getting a different meaning.

When I first read it, I thought you were asking how can they call their belts "3 point" - assuming maybe you saw a pic of just a lap belt.

I think what you are asking is "how are they?" as in quality and such.

I have not used the seabelt planet belts but found out about them on the bluebird e-mail list.  One of the members installed these:

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30499406-1968-1973-datsun-510-driver-passenger-seat-belt-kit.html

Note that it is specifically for the 510 and has a drop for the shoulder.  This would be an amazing!  The belts I use from retrobelt do not have a drop and chaff my neck while driving.  I bet the drop would help allot!

--carter

Would these be the same?

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/310PPB.html