R160 LSD from a Subie

I have a lead on a S62  R160 LSD diff. K on the top, 3.54:1 for $500 which sounds to me like a good deal but I have been reading that some of the later Subaru diffs don't fit into the square mounting hole on the rear cross member of a 510.

Is that true and if so is there a cut off date I should be looking for or outside makings on the diff that will tell me?

I'll take a tape measure with me for sure, this diff appears to have the bolt in side axles same as the original diff.

This is the only pic the seller has,

s62 diff.PNG

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Pretty sure the K makes it a later 180. I had one from a later 720 truck. Traded it for some disc brake rotors to a 510 guy who wanted 4.11s

Not just the K but the mustache mount is a solid plane unlike the R160, as well as the wider spacing of the rear cover top bolts and the fat shoulders of the case where the cover mounts. 

• Like 1

Well the engine/trans in the 510 will be a KA24DE and 5 spd from an S13 240sx which I think had a final ratio of 4.08:1  If I install this R180 LSD with a 3.54:1 ratio 1st gear will be useless with lousy acceleration although good mileage on the highway.

I think the stock R160 is diff is 3.90:1 so maybe I would be better off not buying this Subie R180.

What do you guys think?

Nothing wrong with an R160 behind a KA as long as you dont plan on doing burnouts all the time. 

The issue with the Subi diffs fitting through the cross member is due to the round driveshaft flange - swap it to the rectangular one from your diff and its all good. 

3.54 is going to be really slow, even behind a KA. I run a 4.11 mostly and have a 4.44 in it right now. 4.11 has been my favorite ratio to date - quick enough for fun acceleration, but not rev'ed to high at 80 on the highway. 

If you can find one --- find one of the early 80's Subaru clutch pack LSDs (CLSD) --- most of them were 3.7s, but you can pull the clutch pack center unit and drop it into any other r160 (even the newer ones, which opens up easier to find gearing options --- ie my 4.44 came from a 2000's forester, but then I used the older center unit in it to adapt it back to the datsun stub axles. 

Edited by demo243