1980 Datsun 720 - Control Module

meji-nasty

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The EI matchbox module on the side of the distributor??? Someone told you what you need? but we can only read your words.

A moose is a horse built by a committee. Maybe you had better tell us what's wrong if you're not sure what you were told to look for.

• Like 1

mike yeah a mechanic is checked it out cause it keeps dying on me he said this is what it was but he didnt want to chance it on ebay but he said that if i order he'll install it for 50 bucks 

he said it was 2 bold connection that is by distributor that give the truck its spark  

• Like 1

Yes it lives under the dizzy cap, the O'Reilly's ones are junk so don't buy them just FYI, I went through 4 of them on warranty and gave up. When they go bad the truck will drive until the module gets warm then the module stops working. Some parts stores can check them for free, you should be able to do it yourself, not hard to replace just plug all the wires the same take photo first. The cheap ones are risky, I paid $350 for one from Japan but a wrecking yard is also good. I carry a spare now.

• Like 1

The '80 720 uses an external module on the side of the distributor.

$50 for two screws and two pairs of wires to connect??? I know it isn't always practical but you really should get an '80 Nissan factory service manual (NOT Haynes or Chilton's) with that $50 and trouble shoot and fix this yourself. You're paying a mechanic to learn how to fix your truck when you could be learning.

Coils can over heat and temperately not work till the cool down. Next time it quits pour ice cold water over the module to cool it down. If it restarts then probably the module. If not, try the coil. It's one or the other

• Like 2

I would recommend making sure the module is at fault first. Could be the coil over heating.

Then I would help myself to an  HEI module from an '80s GM product from a wrecking yard or buy one $15...https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Motors-Replacement-Module-4-Pin-HEI-,340163.html?sku=91012347&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAjw0_T4BRBlEiwAwoEiAcQuBtw5ePLmA4uLJXbBZ_KsMDrKu9A8q2mJUbtqUOsW0hsQROexphoCSMYQAvD_BwE.

91012347_L_9795b2f8-8c9a-4e53-ba4a-6a19e

Wire it in like this...

1398557851_GMHEIconnections.jpg.7694a0762feaccd9964685ef20b70c36.jpg

HEI4.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry coming back to this.... I am waiting to receive the above mentioned part. It's for a GM ... will it work with a Datsun? what about this link is this what I'm looking for?

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/airtex-6h1203-ignition-control-module?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntR80lWT0ankyL6Hc8T_80ui2GsR1NN9Hvdzo9skbFEzhwqGGPY2dBQaAqxlEALw_wcB&fit_id=4172&Year=1980&Make=Nissan&Model=720&gsID=pxf228849f4172&

• Like 1

You can pay $132 for the Datsun replacement or $13 for a GM module. You pick. Yes the HEI module from a GM car/truck works. Hell you can steal one from a wrecking yard, but for $13 ($17 Canadian) on Amazon they send it right to your home.... https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-Ignition-1974-1988-Pontiac-FOLCONROAD/dp/B079BPQGX6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=HEI+module&qid=1596221268&sr=8-2

• Like 1
On 7/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, datzenmike said:

I would recommend making sure the module is at fault first. Could be the coil over heating.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:20 AM, datzenmike said:

The '80 720 uses an external module on the side of the distributor.

$50 for two screws and two pairs of wires to connect??? I know it isn't always practical but you really should get an '80 Nissan factory service manual (NOT Haynes or Chilton's) with that $50 and trouble shoot and fix this yourself. You're paying a mechanic to learn how to fix your truck when you could be learning.

Coils can over heat and temperately not work till the cool down. Next time it quits pour ice cold water over the module to cool it down. If it restarts then probably the module. If not, try the coil. It's one or the other

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

SHE LIVES!!!!!!! Thanks guys running like a champ... just need to do a few more things... I can def use it as a daily commuter... I swapped out the module and coil and all good...

do you guys use PartsGeek ? anyone  any thoughts... there are no junk yards near me which makes it difficult to pull random things to have as back ups. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

hey mike i just picked up a 80' 720 king cab. this info helped me out a lot already. so the previous owner worked on this truck and replaced just about ever electrical component to get it run. we did some testing and found we dont have power past the ignition module. They also bought a brand new distributor that doesnt fit and doesnt have the match box module and also has a gear on the shaft. my question the diagram you posted earlier shows a non matchbox distributor can i use the stock matchbox distributor with the GM HEI module 

Ex79Rqt.jpg

Check that you are connected up properly. Must have 12v or battery on the B wire and the + side of the coil (ignore the coil above) Distributor must be very well grounded. To test your coil, just touch a grounded wire to the negative side of the coil with ignition ON and it should spark.

InDpDXk.jpg

Yes!!! The matchbox (yours) can substitute an HEI module for the matchbox module. In your case ignore the 'non matchbox' part.